How to change grid spacing outside drop down list choices

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

webrider

How to change grid spacing outside drop down list choices

Post by webrider » Sun May 27, 2007 5:44 pm

Is there any way to change the grid spacing to numbers other than the drop down list choices?

lgharriman
Registered Member

Post by lgharriman » Sun May 27, 2007 7:11 pm

Hey webrider,
I have found if you highlight the choice shown you are then able to type in any number you want for the grid size.
Larry H :D

webrider

Post by webrider » Sun May 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Thank you, thank you very much!

I just came back to expand on my question and found your answer. Sure made my day!

webrider

Post by webrider » Sun May 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Tried the above suggestion but didn't get the results I was looking for.

I would like a grid that is 7-7/8" on centers. This is the half block installed dimension increment for drystacked concrete block construction. This would allow drawing block walls that snap to the nearest half block dimension.

I have tried various formats to input this value, but the grid does not change as expected. Maybe I don't understand the grid display concepts of this very fine program.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

webrider

Post by webrider » Sun May 27, 2007 7:46 pm

This is my second reply to my own post. I had better be careful or I may end up pushing around a shopping cart with cardboard and bottles in it.

The numerical entries do work as described, when I finally noticed the right hand side of the status-line. Changing the zoom view let me see both the grid dots and those dashed coordinate lines. The grid dots are not related to the dashed lines on the screen which I thought were the grid dots.

How do the grid dots that I set relate to those dashed lines on the screen? Is there some other place that configures the spacing of the dashed lines that I mistakenly though were the grid lines?

webrider

Post by webrider » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:35 am

For the benefit of others I will close out this question myself. After much experimenting, I have found the purpose of those two pesky numbers just below the bottom right corner viewing screen. The first number represents the spacing of the snap grid dots in drawing units. The second number represents grid cross lines spacing in drawing units. As you zoom in and out on the drawing screen, these snap grid dots and drawing unit cross lines can change the unit dimensions represented.

The solid crossing lines will change to multiple unit dimensions as you zoom the display. For example, each cross lines square may represent 12" at one zoom level, and 36" at another zoom level. I see these cross lines as convenient estimators of distance for that zoom level, since you cant snap to them when the snap grid dots don't line up with them. This is the case when you set the snap grid to 7.785" while in the default drawing units of inches.

Hope this clears the air a little.

makeitsimple
Newbie Member

Post by makeitsimple » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi webrider
I don't like the idea of you answering your own question (like I did), but when you have to do it twice that is too much !!! Don't know what your project is but if I were drawing blocks I would not use a grid, will work but perhaps not the best way ???
How about a horizontal line then use the parallel line command set to 7 7/8 with the "number of items" set to your number of required courses. Half way there now !! Draw a vertical line between theend of the first and second mortar line and another offset half a course between the second and third mortar courses??? you can then again use the parallel command set with number of item at say 10? and copy the vertical mortar line on course one and then course two. ?? You can easily delete vertical lines if you get too many. Hope I have described this ok?
I find the grid has its uses but useally jump in drawing coord and parallel etc.
I don't think it the way to be dodging around snapping the grid to draw lots of block?
Best Regards

webrider

Post by webrider » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:45 am

Hi makeit simple,

Thanks for your feed-back, but we miscommunicated. My method is to draw the wall layout on a floor plan. This grid snap allows door openings and window openings in the wall floor plan, such that no blocks have to be cut to fit that door or window opening.

In other words, if I want a doorway opening about 15-feet from a wall corner, then the snap will tell me that the nearest half block increment between the corner and that doorway is 15'-1 1/8", and wont require any blocks cut to fit. In other words, the house floor plan dimensions are adjusted to half-block increments, for the convenience of construction.

Hope this clears the air.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”