Evaludation of QCAD questions

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Sazhen86

Evaludation of QCAD questions

Post by Sazhen86 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi

I like the look of QCAD and am currently trying out the trial version on Ubuntu 9.04. I have a couple of questions:

QCAD looks fine under gnome, however, the version of the assistant used for the help looks terrible. Do you have any plans to make the help assistant use the same Qt version as QCAD?

I notice that the last release of QCAD was quite some time ago. Is the program still under development? Can we expect bug fixes and new features?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Rick

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Evaludation of QCAD questions

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Sazhen86 wrote: QCAD looks fine under gnome, however, the version of the assistant used for the help looks terrible. Do you have any plans to make the help assistant use the same Qt version as QCAD?
Assistant does use the same version of Qt as QCAD. You can replace the assistant binary in [qcad installation dir]/bin if you prefer.
Sazhen86 wrote: I notice that the last release of QCAD was quite some time ago. Is the program still under development? Can we expect bug fixes and new features?
QCAD 3 is in development at the moment and scheduled for 2010.

Sazhen86

Post by Sazhen86 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
andrew wrote: Assistant does use the same version of Qt as QCAD. You can replace the assistant binary in [qcad installation dir]/bin if you prefer.
I'll have to dig a bit further to see why there is a difference in the appearance between them. QCAD looks great but the help assistant is in the default Qt theme with no antialiasing and the wrong font size.
andrew wrote: QCAD 3 is in development at the moment and scheduled for 2010.
Cool. I'll look forward to it.

Sazhen86

Post by Sazhen86 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:09 am

andrew wrote: Assistant does use the same version of Qt as QCAD. You can replace the assistant binary in [qcad installation dir]/bin if you prefer.
Sazhen86 wrote: I'll have to dig a bit further to see why there is a difference in the appearance between them. QCAD looks great but the help assistant is in the default Qt theme with no antialiasing and the wrong font size.
I did a bit more digging on this, and it seems that the QCAD demo is built against Qt 4.4.1 whereas the assistant is built against Qt 4.3.4. Perhaps that explains the difference in appearance.

Cheers
Rick

Sazhen86

Post by Sazhen86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I got sidetracked and haven't had time to look at QCAD for a while.

I reinstalled the trial version and the assistant still looks very poor with no anti-aliased fonts, wrong toolbars etc.

Selecting help from QCAD shows it uses Qt 4.4.1 and selecting help from the assistant shows is uses Qt 4.3.4.

As per your suggestion, I tried replacing the assistant binary in the bin dir with the one from my Qt 4.5.2 installation. The assistant runs and looks fine, but QCAD passes it incorrect command line arguments so it fails to start from the QCAD help menu.

Is there any chance of fixing this as, being a QCAD beginner, I would need to use the help a lot.

Cheers
Rick

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

At this point, the assistant binary that comes with QCAD is the only recommended way to view the integrated documentation.

Alternatively, you may view the manual online at:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad_doc.html

Note that that assistant should look just fine. You might be able to get better results with different fonts (try the qtconfig utility).

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”