[Solved] Copying from layer to layer

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

FRK

[Solved] Copying from layer to layer

Post by FRK » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:06 am

Just bought the Professional version today, and it is the first time I am using QCAD. Till now everything has been quite intuitive and running smoothly, until I came to a halt trying to copy entities from one layer to another.

The selected entity copies on the same layer as it was originally on, but does not want to paste into another selected layer.

Here is the process I follow:
1) Select entity on Layer 0 (the default layer).
2) Under Edit (main menu) use Copy.
3) Select another layer (Layer 2).
4) Under Edit (main menu) use Paste.
The "paste" occurs on the original Layer 0 instead of on Layer 2.

I have tried locking Layer 0 and hiding it too, still with no effect.

Please help!

Thank you.
Last edited by FRK on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:23 am

If you want to paste everything on the clipboard onto the current layer, you can tick the box "To current Layer" in the top toolbar while pasting:
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 14.42.42.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 14.42.42.png (30.39 KiB) Viewed 23523 times
To change the layer of some selected entities, you may want to simply use the property editor:

- make selection
- use property editor to change layer property
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 14.43.53.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 14.43.53.png (48.91 KiB) Viewed 23523 times

FRK

Post by FRK » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Thank you Andrew for your prompt response.

However, I am still fumbling - at a complete loss in finding "To Current Layer" in the "top toolbar". There doesn't seem to be anything in my top toolbar that specifies that - I am sure I am overlooking something very simple.

The top toolbar has New, Open, Save, Save As, .... Paste, Copy, etc. I have checked the Menu Bar too - nothing there either.

Yes, I want to place everything on the clipboard onto a particular layer.

Some more pointers will be appreciated.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Please always post your version of QCAD (Help - About). For now, I'm assuming you are using the latest version of QCAD (2.2.2.0).

If there is no toolbar at the top, other than the one with the file tools, you may have accidentally closed it or moved it somewhere else. You can either reset your QCAD configuration or enable it again (View - Toobars - Tool Options).

FRK

Post by FRK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks again for your promptness.

The issue is now looking more bothersome. First, my system details:

OS = Ubuntu 8.04
QCAD Version: 2.2.2.0
[Professional]
Date: Aug 28 2008
Modules: Scripting
Qt Version: 4.4.1

Missing toolbar
If I enable Tool Options under View>Toolbars, a blank space appears below the toolbar with the File tools. However, the toolbar you are referring to doesn't show up. I don't think it is accidentally moved somewhere else since the blank space (below the File tools) appears/disappears on toggling the Tool Options in the View>Toolbars.

Resetting QCAD
My .config directory has no Ribbonsoft sub-directory. I searched for QCAD.ini and could not find it anywhere on my computer. Therefore, I couldn't delete such a file. I removed my existing installation, and any traces of the community edition that I had used a day before. Then, reinstalled the Professional Version (2.2.2.0). Same issue persists and cannot find the QCAD.ini file either.

BTW, qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86.tar.gz was extracted and installed on my Desktop.

FRK

Post by FRK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 am

Hello Andrew,

One issue was a false alarm and has been resolved. Found the QCAD.ini file and deleted it. Removed the Ribbonsoft sub-directory - cleaned up everything else as much as I could. Deleted the complete QCAD folder. Reinstalled it fresh from the tar folder.

However, the problem still persists. I can see the blank spot being created (when check marked in View > Toolbars > Tool Options) where the Tool Options toolbar is supposed to go, but it is missing.

I can't imagine this to be a bug as people are already using this version for quite a while. I must be missing something very basic.

Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 am

FRK wrote: Missing toolbar
If I enable Tool Options under View>Toolbars, a blank space appears below the toolbar with the File tools. However, the toolbar you are referring to doesn't show up. I don't think it is accidentally moved somewhere else since the blank space (below the File tools) appears/disappears on toggling the Tool Options in the View>Toolbars.
Sounds correct. The toolbar is indeed blank when no tool is being used. The toolbar shows tool specific options as soon as you start a tool (hence Tool Options Toolbar). For example while pasting the clipboard into a drawing, you can rotate, scale or flip the pasted entities or paste everything onto the current layer. All these options show up in the options toolbar. But only while you are pasting something.

FRK

[SOLVED] Copy from layer to layer

Post by FRK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:53 am

Works!!

Thank you, Andrew, for your patience and perseverance in helping me guide through something very basic that I wasn't getting a handle on. I was going too fast with my Paste command thereby missing the optional toolbar that was popping up.

RayArdia

Copy/Paste to another layer

Post by RayArdia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 am

andrew wrote:
FRK wrote: Missing toolbar
Sounds correct. The toolbar is indeed blank when no tool is being used. The toolbar shows tool specific options as soon as you start a tool (hence Tool Options Toolbar). For example while pasting the clipboard into a drawing, you can rotate, scale or flip the pasted entities or paste everything onto the current layer. All these options show up in the options toolbar. But only while you are pasting something.
I have same problem but using Ubuntu 9.04 and the Community version 0f QCAD. Should I be able to acheive success like FRK. My 'View' drop-down shows the Tool Options toolbar as enabled.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:08 am

RayArdia: Paste does not have the same options on the community edition as in the pro edition.

The concept of the tool options toolbar is the same though. It is empty if no tool is active and used if a tool is active.

For example while constructing a parallel line, you can enter the distance between the original line and the parallel line in the tool options toolbar. When creating a circle with a given radius, the radius can be entered in the tool options toolbar, etc.

RayArdia

Layer to Layer etc.

Post by RayArdia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Andrew,
Many thanks for reply, good of you to take the time.
OK, so I can't do it the Copy/Paste way; will try the 'Properties' method and post again!
Ray

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”