Do I need to remove Community Ed?

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

RayArdia

Do I need to remove Community Ed?

Post by RayArdia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Have just bought and downloaded QCAD 2.2.2.0-1, mainly in order to solve problems with copy/paste layer to layer and changes of layer by Properties changes, (ref my posts in 'How do I - Community Ed)
After extracting QCAD 2.2 it sits in my home folder, but the Comm Ed is still in ./qcad.
Prof Ed seems slow and is "jumpy" eg. moving mouse pointer to navigate menu hides window title bar. Am unable to close QCAD, I have to force closure.
Is it necessary to uninstall the Comm Ed to use 2.2.2.0-1?
BTW, still having problems copying/pasting, Prof Ed doesn't seem to help at all in this respect.
Ray

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Do I need to remove Community Ed?

Post by andrew » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm

RayArdia wrote:Have just bought and downloaded QCAD 2.2.2.0-1, mainly in order to solve problems with copy/paste layer to layer and changes of layer by Properties changes, (ref my posts in 'How do I - Community Ed)
After extracting QCAD 2.2 it sits in my home folder, but the Comm Ed is still in ./qcad.
No problem, you can have multiple versions installed side by side.
RayArdia wrote: Prof Ed seems slow and is "jumpy" eg. moving mouse pointer to navigate menu hides window title bar. Am unable to close QCAD, I have to force closure.
Sounds like you did not install the correct graphics drivers for X11. E.g. the NVidia drivers if you have an NVidia card.
RayArdia wrote: BTW, still having problems copying/pasting, Prof Ed doesn't seem to help at all in this respect.
The difference is that you can paste the whole clipboard onto one layer by checking the check box "To current layer" in the options toolbar while pasting.

RayArdia

Re: Do I need to remove Community Ed?

Post by RayArdia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 am

Re."Sounds like you did not install the correct graphics drivers for X11. E.g. the NVidia drivers if you have an NVidia card."
Thanks for detailed reply.
My questions:-
What is X11?
Don't know what I should be looking for regarding graphics drivers. From Control Centre-System Testing-HAL:-
Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
Property Value
info.subsystem pci
info.product Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
info.udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_2a43
info.vendor Intel Corporation
info.parent /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
pci.product Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
pci.vendor_id 32902
pci.vendor Intel Corporation
pci.product_id 10819
pci.device_protocol 0
pci.subsys_vendor Acer Incorporated [ALI]
pci.device_subclass 128
pci.subsys_vendor_id 4133
pci.device_class 3
pci.subsys_product_id 374
pci.linux.sysfs_path /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1
linux.hotplug_type 2
linux.subsystem pci
linux.sysfs_path /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1
Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
Property Value
info.subsystem pci
info.product Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
info.udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_2a42
info.vendor Intel Corporation
info.parent /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
pci.product Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
pci.vendor_id 32902
pci.vendor Intel Corporation
pci.product_id 10818
pci.device_protocol 0
pci.subsys_vendor Acer Incorporated [ALI]
pci.device_subclass 0
pci.subsys_vendor_id 4133
pci.device_class 3
pci.subsys_product_id 374
pci.linux.sysfs_path /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
linux.hotplug_type 2
linux.subsystem pci
linux.sysfs_path /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

In searching for drivers I have navigated as far as http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/IEGD/ but can't correlate the chipset etc refs it contains with those listed for my laptop.
Am I on the right lines? Does this help?
Ray

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 pm

What it means is that your system is currently really slow at copying graphics buffers, an operation that should normally be extremely fast.

This is usually due to a wrong or less than ideal graphics driver or bad configured window system (X11).

It can also simply mean that your hardware is not ideal for running QCAD 2. May I ask what kind of hardware that is? A desktop computer or a notebook or a netbook? Thanks.

RayArdia

Copying/Pasting

Post by RayArdia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am

Acer laptop Intel duo 2.0GhZ, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD running Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty).
When bought the laptop had Vista Home Basic pre-installed and though I think it 'lurks' somewhere, I don't use it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 am

That might be a good idea to try QCAD under Windows on the same machine to see if it behaves the same under Windows.

RayArdia

Copy/Paste

Post by RayArdia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am

Not possible, can no longer access Windows it seems, any pointers in that direction?

RayArdia

Copy/Paste

Post by RayArdia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am

Andrew,
Since I couldn't try your windows suggestion I decided to go ahead and delete the Comm version of QCAD. Speed of transfer to and from Clipboard has improved markedly. Don't know why.
I can now copy/paste from drawing to layer or from layer to layer!
Only one tiny thing remains to be done and that is to somehow reinsert the QCAD icon in my Panel, which of course disappeared when I removed QCad Comm version.
I believe that at least part of my problem was that I had used Cadvance for a very long time and my natural (now ancient!) reflexes sometimes chose the Command first followed by selection of the entities upon which the command is to operate. My few remaining brain cells have now accepted that QCAD 'moves in a mysterious (and contrary) way its wonders to perform'!
BTW, having now got the Ground, First and Second floors 'overlayed' in different colours I have discovered a glaring measurement error on one floor - so the effort was very worthwhile.
Apart from the icon matter, that about wraps it up and I must again thank you for your knowledgeable and patient help.
Ray

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”