Library Browser incomplete

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

RayArdia

Post by RayArdia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 pm

My Library Browsaer shows only part of the Library tree.
Qcad/Library/ exists in my Home folder with subs
, misc, doors, partlibrary 2.1.2.8-1, patterns and templates.
In Library Browser only misc and templates are visible and selecting either of them produces nil results. Why are the other sub-directories not shown? How can I access them?
Using Qcad Prof on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 am

Example:

- You downloaded the file "qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86.tar.gz" and unpacked it in your home directory.

- Your home directory now contains a folder called "qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86".

- Inside that directory is the QCAD binary (file "qcad").

- To start QCAD, you change into that directory and run the QCAD binary (file "qcad") from there.

- If all the above is true, your part library must be installed in folder "/home/yourname/qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86/library", where 'yourname' is your login name.

- The library browser of QCAD reflects the directory structure inside "library". Any DXF files inside that structure are shown as insertable blocks.

RayArdia

Post by RayArdia » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 am

Andrew,
Re Example:

- You downloaded the file "qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86.tar.gz" and unpacked it in your home directory.

- Your home directory now contains a folder called "qcad-2.2.2.0-1-prof.linux.x86".

- Inside that directory is the QCAD binary (file "qcad").
All true!
I have up to date started QCAD by GUI, ie. clickiing a link on my desktop to the executable QCAD. Is this 'verboten' - must I always follow your example,
- To start QCAD, you change into that directory and run the QCAD binary (file "qcad") from there.
I'm a bit ashamed to say that I don't know how to run an application from Terminal :oops:
BTW when I re-installed QCAD some time back I noticed that all Paths fields in Applications Prferences were blank whereas I recall that I found all Paths pre-completed when using the community version. As a precaution I filled in the Library path with '/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86/library' and also tried '/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86/library/partlibrary-2.1.2.8-1'
In both cases only the misc and templates su-directories appear in the libray browser.
What am I doing wrong?

RayArdia

Post by RayArdia » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Still don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help, or does it always have to be poor old Andrew who has to answer all those (sometimes without doubt, dumb!) questions?
Ray

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 am

The important thing is that /home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86 is the current working directory for QCAD, when you start QCAD.

There are various ways to achieve this. If I understand you correctly, you have some kind of link on your desktop that probably links to "/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86/qcad"

If that is a file system link, you cannot use it to launch QCAD.

If you have created the link with GUI tools, chances are that it is a special file that resides on your desktop and launches the QCAD binary. In this case, you should be able to configure the current working directory somehow. For example by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Properties" or similar. Then you need to set the "current working directory" or "working path" or similar to "/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86".

The reason why I cannot be more specific is that there are lots of Linux distributions with lots of window managers with lots of user specific configuration options and therefore a Linux system is usually as unique as its user.

Another possibility is to use your favorite file browser (again, there are hundreds, all work differently), to 'somehow' navigate to the directory /home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1prof.linux.x86 on your harddisk. Then click the "qcad" icon or file to launch QCAD. In other words, don't work with a link on your desktop at all, but simply open the directory where QCAD is installed and launch QCAD from there.

I hope this makes somewhat sense.

RayArdia

Post by RayArdia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:10 am

Eureka! ¡Muchisimas gracías! Thank you Andrew!
Double clicking on the (diamond-shaped) Qcad icon in the file browser window opens QCAD and the file browser is complete. I can access all folders and the thumbnails appear and can be inserted.
I have tried to place my 'homemade' blocks into a new folder 'saved' in the Part Library tree but although I know that from File-Open-/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1.prof.linux.x86/library/partlibrary-2.1.2.8-1/saved/elipses.dxf that 'elipses' exists and can be opened, it doesn't show in File Browser as a file name or thumbnail within the 'saved' folder.
The 'saved' folder is shown as part of the tree in 'Library browser' but is empty.
What have I missed?
Ray

RayArdia

Post by RayArdia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Gentle bump!
I know that from File-Open-/home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1.prof.linux.x86/library/partlibrary-2.1.2.8-1/saved/elipses.dxf that 'elipses' exists and can be opened, it doesn't show in File Browser as a file name or thumbnail within the 'saved' folder.
The 'saved' folder is shown as part of the tree in 'Library browser' but is empty.
What have I missed?
Ray

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Do other files in folder /home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1.prof.linux.x86/library/partlibrary-2.1.2.8-1/ or /home/ray/qcad-2.2.2.0-1.prof.linux.x86/library/partlibrary-2.1.2.8-1/saved/ show up?

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”