How can I scale the dimensions?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

khosrow
Newbie Member

How can I scale the dimensions?

Post by khosrow » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I am using community version 2.0.5.0 from Debian on a Linux machine. Very often I want to draw a small piece with a scale factor. for instance, a 40 mm object twice as big. then, the problem is that when I put dimensions, it shows 80, which is obviously correct on the drawing, but not in reality. I think one important feature missing in Qcad units tool is a conversion factor. Please, not that I am not talking about the paper layout, where you can make your drawing bigger or smaller to fit on your paper size. the numbers on the dimension lines won't change, even if you scale your drawing there. :?:

Lorenzo

Re: How can I scale the dimensions?

Post by Lorenzo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:36 pm

khosrow wrote:I am using community version 2.0.5.0 from Debian on a Linux machine. Very often I want to draw a small piece with a scale factor. for instance, a 40 mm object twice as big. then, the problem is that when I put dimensions, it shows 80, which is obviously correct on the drawing, but not in reality. I think one important feature missing in Qcad units tool is a conversion factor. Please, not that I am not talking about the paper layout, where you can make your drawing bigger or smaller to fit on your paper size. the numbers on the dimension lines won't change, even if you scale your drawing there. :?:
Why do you need to draw with a scale factor? There is no scale in CAD drafting, as you can read here.

rvt

Post by rvt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 am

More important, why draw something twice as big as the object really is??

khosrow
Newbie Member

Post by khosrow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:39 am

obvious; because some parts just appear too small on the drawing! imagine drawing a tiny part, 5 by 2 millimeters on a standard iso A4 template.

rvt

Post by rvt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 pm

khosrow,

since you mention twice as big, I didn't see that need..

But indeed, I can imagine that if you make a blowup of part of a drawing and you add dimensions you want to have the capability to show that 'blown up' portion at the right scale.

Currently I don't think this is possible,
your only option would be to explode the dimension line and modify the text manually.

khosrow
Newbie Member

Post by khosrow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 am

rvt,

since your answer makes sense, I'll try to wrap up the mess ....

OK, I think I remember this was doable in AutoCad. thanks, anyway.

Khosrow :P

archieval
Registered Member

Post by archieval » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Try drawing the piece using real world dimensions, then when your ready to print, go to "Print Preview", there an option there to change "print scale". Try different values, until the entire drawing fits nicely on your paper size.

khosrow
Newbie Member

Post by khosrow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 am

archieval,
I knew that. the problem was that the ISO A4 template or library parts have fixed sizes, so, you cannot draw something very big or very small in "real word dimensions" and use one of the templates or library parts as well.

thanks anyway,
Khosrow :D

bsoft
Newbie Member

Post by bsoft » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:32 am

Hi,

excuse my bad englich.
Try to print your drawing withot the little part.
Open an empty page draw your part. Fit it in A4 and
print on the printed page.

bsoft

khosrow
Newbie Member

Post by khosrow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:47 am

This makes more sense. thanks!

Khosrow
thanks,
Khosrow

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”