How do I draw a curved line with an arrowhead at one end?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

bwallum

How do I draw a curved line with an arrowhead at one end?

Post by bwallum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi

I want to draw a curved line with an arrowhead at one end to indicate the rotation of a disc. How do I do that please?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Curves (splines) cannot have an arrow at the end in QCAD. Please draw a short leader (see Dimension - Leader) at the end. Leaders can be so short that the leader itself is not visible, only the arrow.

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 pm

andrew wrote:Curves (splines) cannot have an arrow at the end in QCAD. Please draw a short leader (see Dimension - Leader) at the end. Leaders can be so short that the leader itself is not visible, only the arrow.
Thanks Andrew. I think I may have found an alternative. Unicode characters 27F2 and 27F3 do the job for me (indicate clock/anticlock wise movement)

I can get the text edit box up in QCad, I can select the characters from Arrows Supplementary 1 and see them in the text editor. However they will not show on the drawing when I select the position. Where am I going wrong in this final step please?

I can get normal text to appear ok.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:45 pm

QCAD fonts only define a small subset of the 100000+ Unicode characters.

You can extend fonts as described here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewtopic.php?t=1028

This will of course break compatibility of your drawings with other QCAD users. For arrows, using leaders would probably be the preferred way.

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks Andrew, I've now drawn an arc, added a leader (with a very short lead) and it does the job quite nicely. I've also made a block out of it for future use. Thank you for your advice.

Kind Regards
Bob

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”