How do I move or copy blocks or entities between layers?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

maxweld
Registered Member

How do I move or copy blocks or entities between layers?

Post by maxweld » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Is this possible?
Thanks in advance.

mikeperik

Post by mikeperik » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Click on the 'Edit' button and then click on the 'Edit Entity Attributes' button. Select the items you want to move to another layer and then select the '->' arrow. A dialog should pop up which will let you change the layer of the selected items.

Mike

alex.angerhofer
Registered Member

Post by alex.angerhofer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:01 am

This will "change" the layer of the selected items but not copy them between different layers. Is there a way to actually copy them?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, Alex.

garydale
Newbie Member

Post by garydale » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:34 am

This is an important question. I'm new to QCad (and to CAD in general) but I've worked with other graphics programs. Copying between layers is a crucial capability.

I'm trying to use QCad to design a wiring layout for a house. I traced the basement layout and wanted to use that as the basis for the other floors. However, I can't seem to do it in one drawing. The best I can do is save the drawing multiple times so I have one drawing for each floor.

It's just not the same thing.

martinf
Registered Member

Post by martinf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:00 pm

modify -> move

select the entities you want to copy, and then continue.

select the reference point and target point. For just moving between layers, you probably want to use the same point for both

when the moving options dialog comes up, make sure you have selected the layer you want to copy to and then check 'keep original' and 'use current layer'

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”