How do I divide a line into equal length sub lines?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

bwallum

How do I divide a line into equal length sub lines?

Post by bwallum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi

I would like to divide a line to give me equal lengths of line, e.g. I have a line that I wish to divide into 5 equal length lines.

How do I do that?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

There's no special tool for that in QCAD 2, so you'll have to construct or calculate that.

QCAD 3 will have such a tool under Modify -> Split Entities.

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 pm

andrew wrote:There's no special tool for that in QCAD 2, so you'll have to construct or calculate that.

QCAD 3 will have such a tool under Modify -> Split Entities.
Great news, when will QCAD 3 be released?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:36 pm

A QCAD 3 Beta version with the mentioned tool has been released today. Please access your download area to download QCAD 3 Beta. For more details, please refer to:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad3.html

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

andrew wrote:A QCAD 3 Beta version with the mentioned tool has been released today. Please access your download area to download QCAD 3 Beta. For more details, please refer to:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad3.html
Excellent news Andrew. Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 64bit and the advice is that QCAD 3 Beta does not work with this OS version.

Should I look towards changing OS or is there likely to be a resolution within the near future?

Kind regards
Bob

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, it's an issue with Ubuntu 11.04 64bit which is not providing
32bit variants for all of its libraries. They say they will not
fix this issue (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/783155).

As a workaround, you can start QCAD with a non-GTK theme:

E.g.:
./qcad -style plastique
./qcad -style cde
./qcad -style cleanlooks
./qcad -style motif
./qcad -style windows

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 pm

andrew wrote:Unfortunately, it's an issue with Ubuntu 11.04 64bit which is not providing
32bit variants for all of its libraries. They say they will not
fix this issue (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/783155).

As a workaround, you can start QCAD with a non-GTK theme:

E.g.:
./qcad -style plastique
./qcad -style cde
./qcad -style cleanlooks
./qcad -style motif
./qcad -style windows
Thanks for the really quick response Andrew. I'll have a play using your advice and see how far I get. One last question:-

If I download QCAD 3 beta and install will it over write any QCAD 2.* files or will it make an entirely new file structure so that I can run both?

I'm really enjoying QCAD by the way, it takes me back to a program called DesignCad that unfortunately lost it's way. I wish you every success for the future and would be pleased to make another phi nan tial (I'm trying to get past the spam filter you have) contribution towards the ongoing work if there is a method to do this.

Kind regards
Bob

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 pm

bwallum wrote:If I download QCAD 3 beta and install will it over write any QCAD 2.* files or will it make an entirely new file structure so that I can run both?
They share no files at all, so you can run them both, even simultaneously.
bwallum wrote:I'm really enjoying QCAD by the way, it takes me back to a program called DesignCad that unfortunately lost it's way. I wish you every success for the future and would be pleased to make another phi nan tial (I'm trying to get past the spam filter you have) contribution towards the ongoing work if there is a method to do this.
Thanks. One way to contribute is to sponsor a feature you've always wanted:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rs_donate.html

Sorry about the annoying spam filter - but we'd get close to a hundred spam posts per day without it, so it's the lesser evil I guess.

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm

andrew wrote:
bwallum wrote:If I download QCAD 3 beta and install will it over write any QCAD 2.* files or will it make an entirely new file structure so that I can run both?
They share no files at all, so you can run them both, even simultaneously.
bwallum wrote:I'm really enjoying QCAD by the way, it takes me back to a program called DesignCad that unfortunately lost it's way. I wish you every success for the future and would be pleased to make another phi nan tial (I'm trying to get past the spam filter you have) contribution towards the ongoing work if there is a method to do this.
Thanks. One way to contribute is to sponsor a feature you've always wanted:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rs_donate.html

Sorry about the annoying spam filter - but we'd get close to a hundred spam posts per day without it, so it's the lesser evil I guess.
Donation (small, I'm nobody grand) done I hope. I'll leave it to you to allocate as you have appeared to have implemented my earlier request. Thanks again.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

Many thanks!

bwallum

Post by bwallum » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:45 pm

andrew wrote:Many thanks!
and the same to you. QCAD3 beta now running in Ubuntu 11.04 64bit using your work-around. Split entities just what I wanted!

EDIT
Just to follow through I have QCAD beta 3 running in 64bit Ubuntu 11.04. I downloaded and unpacked the linux beta file to my home directory. I'm Bob. The start up script, qcad, therefore sits in the folder /home/bob/qcad-3.0.0-beta-prof-linux

To make it run from a Desktop launcher I created a launcher by right clicking on the Desktop, selecting Create Launcher and where asked for a command I used:

Code: Select all

sh -c 'cd /home/bob/qcad-3.0.0-beta-prof-linux && ./qcad -style plastique'
(You need the single quotes in the command). For the icon I chose the new qcad_icon.svg file. I now launch QCAD beta 3 with a single click on the launcher icon. If using Unity with the nice icon column then simply drag your launcher into the launcher icon column.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”