Line length property

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

mikeumo
Registered Member

Line length property

Post by mikeumo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:27 pm

I would like to have a length property in the list of line entity properties (in the property editor). I want it to be editable so that if I change the length the endpoint would change to accommodate the line of the specified length in the same direction as before -- startpoint being fixed (the startpoint and endpoint can even be greyed/locked out when length is being edited); if I change the endpoint or the startpoint the length would change accordingly.

Furthermore, to have more flexibility given the above options it would be nice to be able to switch start- and end-points with a click of a button.

Thank you for consideration!

Mike.

michael
Site Admin

Post by michael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

a) Change length. Not possible right now.

b) switch end-start point. Also not possible right now.

But this is maybe a feature that will be implemented in the future.

Future: Start drawing a line, then give the direction, enter a number, hit ENTER. And the line is there. (But this is not standard CAD, anyway.)

If you use the Command Line, then you can use it.

1. Hit SPACE.
2. Enter "line".
3. Enter "0,0" ENTER. (1st point)
4. Enter "@20,0" ENTER. (2nd point, @relative)

michaelsr

Post by michaelsr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Actually, if you were to implement a 'change line direction' feature it would be great if you could select a number of lines that have one or both ends on a horizontal or vertical line, show a common (y or x respectively) start point.

I needed to do this when I made a small mistake in a drawing and found that the entire E wall needed to be moved 10cm. As the lines all started and ended in different directions I had to work with them in 'start' and 'end' batches which was pretty fiddly to do.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael

----------------
FC7 64bit with QCad 2.1.3.2

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm

michaelsr wrote:Actually, if you were to implement a 'change line direction' feature it would be great if you could select a number of lines that have one or both ends on a horizontal or vertical line, show a common (y or x respectively) start point.

I needed to do this when I made a small mistake in a drawing and found that the entire E wall needed to be moved 10cm. As the lines all started and ended in different directions I had to work with them in 'start' and 'end' batches which was pretty fiddly to do.
I think what you are probably really missing is the stretch tool (Modify - Stretch). That seems more appropriate for that kind of task. The direction of a line should usually not matter in your drawing and you shouldn't have to change that.

michaelsr

Post by michaelsr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:38 pm

The stretch tool does not quite do what I needed to but it does cover most eventualities. The problem I would have had was that there only some of the elements in the selection box needed moving, others were fine.
Michael

----------------
FC7 64bit with QCad 2.1.3.2

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”