print to PDF problem

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

Re: print to PDF problem

Postby biggocharley » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:45 pm

One more thing worth mentioning. The unreadable pdf is 142.4 kb in size while the readable pdf is 38.6 kb. so in a moment of desperation I tried to open the "unreadable" file with a postscript reader and it opened just fine. So my current theory is that print to file option is actually giving me a postscript file. I went back to qcad and selected the print to file option with a .ps extension and it opened ok as a postscript file. I'm not knowlegable enough to explain this. How about you, Clive?
biggocharley

Re: print to PDF problem

Postby Clive » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm

biggocharley wrote:One more thing worth mentioning. The unreadable pdf is 142.4 kb in size while the readable pdf is 38.6 kb. so in a moment of desperation I tried to open the "unreadable" file with a postscript reader and it opened just fine. So my current theory is that print to file option is actually giving me a postscript file. I went back to qcad and selected the print to file option with a .ps extension and it opened ok as a postscript file. I'm not knowlegable enough to explain this. How about you, Clive?

biggocharley - I`ve just found this that might be useful ;

http://www.qcad.org/qcad_doc_faq.html#16

(look at number 16)

Also this:

http://www.qcad.org/qcad/manual_referen ... ter09.html

(look at bottom of page)

So it seems you need to convert .ps to pdf .
As far as I understand postscript files > Printing a document to a file instead of to your printer saves the document in a format that a different printer can use.
For example, if you want to have your document printed by a commercial printing service that uses higher-resolution printers, you can print the document to a file, and then take that file to the commercial printer.
Clive

Previous

Return to QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions