area of polyline?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

mikro
Registered Member

area of polyline?

Post by mikro » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:26 pm

i have a closed polyline of which i would like to know the area. how can i do it? as it contains arcs i can hardly click around the area.
btw: how do i distinguish between an open and a closed polyline in qcad?

michael
Site Admin

Post by michael » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Area. You can use the measurement tool.
But right now, it does not support arcs. You have to do this manually. Use "st" snap no nearest line will give you an approximation.

For what do you need it? (if you have many arcs... sure it is not very pracitacally to do this always manually. Maybe I will find a solution.)

Closed polylines if you move it arround, then the closed loop will come with it.

mikro
Registered Member

Post by mikro » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:40 pm

well at work (as a civil engineer designing streets and sewage systems) i use autocad. If i want to get areameasurements i generally create a polyline first and ask autocad for its area instead of using the normal area calculation so that i will still have the polyline later to check or change.
Granted this normaly does not include arcs. But it is a good reason to have polyline-areas available.
Right now i am sitting at home wondering if i got a calculation right and wanted to check the area which is part of the calculation by simply drawing and measuring it.
Approximation here is no use: someone else had calulated that to 0,098 and i get 0,110... well i'll just have to believe my own calculation then and check tomorrow in the office ;)

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”