Additional Hatch Patterns

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jadit
Newbie Member

Additional Hatch Patterns

Post by jadit » Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi, Can anyone point me a good source for additional hatches? Today's particular problem is a concrete cross section. Lastly is it just a case of dropping them into the relevant patterns directory?
Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Additional Hatch Patterns

Post by andrew » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm

I'm assuming that you are using QCAD 3.
jadit wrote:Can anyone point me a good source for additional hatches?
Googling for "autocad hatch patterns" should give you some pages to start with.
jadit wrote:Lastly is it just a case of dropping them into the relevant patterns directory?
Yes, with QCAD 3 you can add any .pat pattern file to the patterns/metric or patterns/imperial directory of your QCAD installation and after restarting QCAD start using the new pattern. Note that other users will have to have the same pattern file installed to be able to correctly view your drawing.

PS: QCAD 2 uses DXF files to define patterns. You will likely not find ready-made patterns for QCAD 2 on the Internet as they are not compatible with other products.

jadit
Newbie Member

Post by jadit » Thu May 24, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks Andrew,
yes I am using 3RC5. Someone else must have suggested this.. I've a modest collection of blocks/symbols (growing daily) that I'd be happy to share. Do "we" have any agreed standards for layering within blocks (I noticed that the windows I downloaded had the glass/wooden frame separated) Personally for things like windows a standard size /layout with the materials defined by notes would seem more sensible? Has anyone started or proposed a group for this?

Lastly, I do wonder when you sleep.....

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I haven't really had a chance yet to think about any drawing standards for part library items. I guess that every industry / audience probably has different ideas and requirements about layer names, colors, line weights, etc.

Creating a forum for this is a great idea and a good starting point to collect some ideas:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=49

In QCAD 3, there is a standard for defining meta data through RDF files. A brief explanation for this is available at:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/component/ ... rt-library

Sleep.. my work load is indeed a problem. The planned new community edition based on QCAD 3 will hopefully help to involve more people at least in areas such as translations, part library symbols, posting information and answers to the forum, etc.

jadit
Newbie Member

Post by jadit » Thu May 24, 2012 8:31 pm

I've a large Planning/Building Control application to submit by tomorrow noon (all completed on Ver 3 RC5) and then I'm off for a sunshine break - if I don't get caught by my wife I might rough some ideas out while I'm away...

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 pm

-jadit - I've got a few blocks/symbols tucked away too - mostly Architectural/Building construction, when I get a minute I`ll dig em out :wink: I`ll also add the most common standards I use for layers which is based on AEC (Architecture Engineering and Construction) UK standards.

Enjoy the break! :D

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 25, 2012 8:53 am

jadit wrote:I've a large Planning/Building Control application to submit by tomorrow noon (all completed on Ver 3 RC5)
Success with the project!
jadit wrote:...if I don't get caught by my wife I might rough some ideas out while I'm away...

:D Great! Enjoy the time off! I also have that planned (after the final QCAD 3 release).

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 am

clive wrote:-jadit - I've got a few blocks/symbols tucked away too - mostly Architectural/Building construction, when I get a minute I`ll dig em out :wink: I`ll also add the most common standards I use for layers which is based on AEC (Architecture Engineering and Construction) UK standards.
Excellent! It might be interesting to add "AEC" to the meta data of the items as described here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/component/ ... rt-library

Note that the above document describes meta data in QCAD 3 final which is slightly different from QCAD 3 RC5.

Return to “Chat”