New thread request ....

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

New thread request ....

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:22 am

I like this "Tips and Tutorials" thread but I thing it should not be mixed up with (by user provided) templates.
On the other hand I thing the templates are "good to have" and one day it could be a big resource for everything ;-)

Would it be possible to get a new thread for templates / projects / sample drawings / library items etc. ??? 8)

Clive

Re: New thread request ....

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:50 am

We already have a forum for QCAD part libraries,I suppose the templates,library items should be in there - I`ll work on that.

As for sample drawings, projects etc. - for now the 'Tips and Tutorial' platform is being used, however I agree it will need a bit of sorting out as it expands. I know Andrew has some ideas on this - in that a section on the main website might be created to incorporate some 'Tips and Tutorials, and yes it would be good to clarify where to post/set up a new thread for sample drawings and projects -maybe a gallery area? is this what you mean here for the sample drawings/projects?

I suppose we need to be careful as not to fill up the forum with lots of user submitted sample drawings/projects! What would be the purpose of this? - please clarify here.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

clive wrote:We already have a forum for QCAD part libraries,I suppose the templates,library items should be in there - I`ll work on that.
Thank you ! :D
clive wrote:As for sample drawings, projects etc. - for now the 'Tips and Tutorial' platform is being used, however I agree it will need a bit of sorting out as it expands. I know Andrew has some ideas on this - in that a section on the main website might be created to incorporate some 'Tips and Tutorials, and yes it would be good to clarify where to post/set up a new thread for sample drawings and projects -maybe a gallery area? is this what you mean here for the sample drawings/projects?
Yep, something like a gallery would be great. Here are my thoughts: If we have a good organized gallery (with the right description and Meta Tags to the items) we could bring (hopefully) more customer to the QCAD Website. My personal experience is that I'm lazy enough to check first the Internet for anything what I can use in my projects. Most of the time it is much easier to modifier something what I have found instead of designing it new from the first line on. Oops .... is that not the basic principle of a computer? However - I know that I'm not the only lazy guy on this world and I'm sure that other lazy guys will appreciate a good source of free (or maybe also for sell?) dxf files. And if I'm already on a good CAD Website maybe I'm also interested to buy this fabulous QCAD Program .... 8)

Many individuals are trying to provide Library's on websites - but have you ever found a really good one? If yes the QCAD Forum shout link them ;-)

My thoughts to the QCAD Library provided from QCAD.
It is nice to have many many Library items - but quantity means not (Work) Quality. If we split the Library from QCAD and provide a single download (with preview) for each department it would be much easier to create a customized Library for each customer. Maybe a good start for a gallery ..... :wink:
clive wrote: I suppose we need to be careful as not to fill up the forum with lots of user submitted sample drawings/projects! What would be the purpose of this? - please clarify here.
Counter question: What is the purpose of posting drawings for Bug Houses, Celtic knots, Radiator Cover screen, card stock lantern etc.
I can't see the purpose to doing that because I don't need that. But on the other hand: What is if somebody likes to built a ventilated Bug House with Cover screens what has a pattern designed like Keltic knots illuminated by a card stock lantern .... he/she will be more than happy that "clive" already posted that. :D

Well, how carefully could you be with drawings? Based on what will you decide which is a good sample drawing/project and which not. I thing here is just one possible answer to providing space for sample drawings/projects. YES or NO!

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Husky - I understand what you mean now as regards to sample drawings/projects, I thought you meant to show off users work projects and users sample drawings - but you mean Library items!

Yes I agree about submitting library items and for now we can use the 'QCAD Part Libraries' forum and submit to the 'Creating DXF/DWG items' section, as you can see I have moved my posts there now.

Your suggestion about offering a wide selection/single categorized 'down loadable' library item choices - again, I know, Andrew has thoughts and plans about this and I would imagine will be linked to the main website - however I agree to have a more 'local' forum based organised section in the 'QCAD Part Libraries' (possibly in the form of a gallery) would be a good way forward and yes would hopefully become a very useful resource.

I think as more users submit useful library items to the 'Creating DXF/DWG items' section the more it will need to be expanded, listed and categorised and maybe a gallery could grow from this!

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 am

clive wrote:Husky - I understand what you mean now as regards to sample drawings/projects, I thought you meant to show off users work projects and users sample drawings - but you mean Library items!
Not only Library items. I thing also about a "Bug House" Project ;-) section. Maybe somebody just needs/likes to build something based on a ready to go drawing and will find the next time the passion to design something with QCAD and will share it with the forum "world".

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am

:D Now I am waiting for your Bug house design :lol:

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am

clive wrote::D Now I am waiting for your Bug house design :lol:
... be Patience :wink: I'm pretty sure the final QCAD 3 release will support my laziness :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.s.: Honestly .... I have no clue how your Bug House looks like. Is it possible to see a picture of an assembled Bug house?

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Husky wrote:P.s.: Honestly .... I have no clue how your Bug House looks like. Is it possible to see a picture of an assembled Bug house?
No problem, see here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewt ... 6575#p6575

Return to “QCAD Tips and Tutorials”