Laser cut out shapes

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

om
Newbie Member

Laser cut out shapes

Post by om » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:55 pm

I need a program to submit to my laser cutter. They are drawings of animals. I would need to somehow scan my artwork, and make dxf files from them. Does the $35 program do this. How much of a learning curve is there to get up and running? Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Laser cut out shapes

Post by andrew » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:45 pm

om wrote:I need a program to submit to my laser cutter. They are drawings of animals. I would need to somehow scan my artwork, and make dxf files from them. Does the $35 program do this. How much of a learning curve is there to get up and running? Thanks
QCad can import scanned images and display them in the background of a drawing for manual tracing. It can also produce DXF files.

The learning curve depends on your previous experience with CAD systems. I suggest you download the free trial version and try it with a very simple example to see if it fits.

Andrew

om
Newbie Member

Post by om » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:01 pm

thanks, now I need to get a scanner, or can I draw a pencil design, photgraph it and clean it up in photoshop and then import that? If so what steps do I take. Thanks,

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:06 pm

om wrote:thanks, now I need to get a scanner, or can I draw a pencil design, photgraph it and clean it up in photoshop and then import that? If so what steps do I take. Thanks,
Sure, you can import any kind of bitmap from any source into QCad. Whatever you can get on your computer as bitmap file (e.g. JPEG, PNG, BMP, ...).

om
Newbie Member

Post by om » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Someone has sent me DXF files that they made in corel draw. How do I use the program to look at them, and then edit them. Thansk,

marymn
Registered Member

Post by marymn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:28 am

you can convert it into either pdf files
or can upload in Auto cad and engrave the design

[URL was removed by admin: we don't allow advertising in our forum, to add a link to our QCAD Users page, please contact us.]

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”