QCad on leopard.....doesn't run!

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

ttrw

QCad on leopard.....doesn't run!

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:10 am

Dani wrote: i read your post about QCad in leopard; I work from november '07 on a macbook with leopard, yesterday i've found this qcad, but i can't permorf the installation.... When i click on the qcad icon, nothing happens.
I read the posts on the link http://zeitkunst.org/blog/2007/02/13/co ... with-fink/
but i don't understand anything....
So if you say that qcad runs on your Leopard Mac, could you help me?
Hi Dani :D

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. (This was a PM back to you that I am now making public so that others can gain from it too- sorry for any offence caused ).

There isn't any installation- and I haven't the foggiest what that link you gave me is on about either.

I simply unzipped Q-Cad, dragged the folder to applications and ran the program.

You may have a problem with your OS X installation. Have you tried to repair disc permissions?

I can assure you that Q-Cad on Leopard runs very well- I use both every day!

I hope that helps

Tom

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 am

BTW, I don't know what all this Fink stuff is. It seems that many people who go to Mac OS X, come to it thinking that it is another Linux derivative- which it is not. In fact it is even easier to use than Windows! Both my Father and my Brother came from Linux to Mac OS X, and although my Brother had no problem changing over, my father still treats it like it was Linux- and as a result he constantly buggers up the registry meaning that I have to keep getting him to run disk permissions to make everything work again. :evil:

"Repair disc permissions" can be found in "Disc Utility" in your Utilities folder which can be found in applications.

For all other Mac OSX newbies coming from Linux, although you can open a terminal to install software, it is far easier to copy and paste or click-hold-drag from an unzipped file to the Applications folder 8)

Okay?

Paul
Registered Member

QCad and Leopard

Post by Paul » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 pm

While in general it is true that QCad 2.1.3.2 runs on Leopard, I have found at least one funny thing.

If you double-click a QCad document intending to for it to open in QCad (or to open QCad) - it won't. Instead, you get a request to select an application, which allows you to navigate to QCad OK and launch QCad, but then you don't get the document you wanted - just a new blank document.

Similarly, if you do a "Get Info" on a QCad document, and you navigate to QCad as an option for the application to open it, it seems to be accepted; however double clicking the document then does at least open QCad without a request, but only with a blank document again. The file has a "dxf" extension.

You can open files from within QCad using File->Open, however.

I don't recall having these problems with the Panther version I used. I never used Tiger at all.

Has anybody else seen this?

Paul.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:20 am

It's difficult to say, because my files turn up as eDrawings files, but yes, if I try to change file permissions, Leopard does not recommend QCad to open them- which I suppose is very similar to your problem Paul?

To be honest I never bother double clicking, because I usually open dxf files from whatever application I have open- and I've got a few for Mac.

Paul
Registered Member

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Yes, it certainly isn't a show-stopper, but it still shouldn't do it. I would hope that the next QCad update addresses it.

Regards,

Paul.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”