I learned right now that ...

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

I learned right now that ...

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 pm

The extension avi is not allowed. :twisted:
The extension wmf is not allowed. :twisted:

Any chance to change that in the Forum Software? At least for trusted Member .... :lol:

andrew
Site Admin

Re: I learned right now that ...

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:12 pm

I've enabled those two file types which are not allowed by default.

Let me know if you wish to attach other file types.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Thank you very much - I will try it again 8)

I guess you like more avi's instead of wmf's because they are normally smaller. I'm right?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:35 pm

WMF files are vector graphics files similar to SVG files.

The Windows movie format is called WMV (Windows Media Video) and should also be accepted now. Please keep in mind that many QCAD users are not using Windows but Mac OS X or Linux. The maximum file size for uploaded movie files is 2 MiB.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok, I tested both Formats and now I'm able to upload them. My Problem now is that I'm not able to play them directly in this Forum. I have to download the files and play them then on my Computer. Do I (we) have to use extern Platforms or what is the trick?

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 pm

andrew wrote:WMF files are vector graphics files similar to SVG files.

The Windows movie format is called WMV (Windows Media Video) ....
Yep, you are absolutely right - that was a misspelling of me! Sorry!!!

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi Husky
My understanding is that it all depends whether the forum software or the forum owner/administrator allows hyper links to either a flash movie player within the forum itself or to another website like YouTube for example to play a flash movie.
Allowing hyper-links can be a dangerous game when there are so many spammers and nasties out there!
By far the safest way is to allow downloads of movie files from trusted users but as Andrew says you would need to upload various formats in order for different operating systems to like them!

I have a suggestion here that may help - if your movies are useful tutorials/training.
@Andrew, how about the possibility of any such useful screen recordings to be vetted first and then put on the main website in a movie section? It will create more work I guess but it may be worth it even if for promotional level!

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 am

clive wrote:@Andrew, how about the possibility of any such useful screen recordings to be vetted first and then put on the main website in a movie section? It will create more work I guess but it may be worth it even if for promotional level!
@Clive,
Ok, I know this was not addressed to me but nevertheless my thoughts about it:
Sounds really good and I'm sure it would push the promotional level!
But who has the time to do that? That could end up with hundreds of videos which has been watched, proven (Virus, Maleware etc.), sorted, uploaded, maintained (new and better one have to replace older one) etc. etc. etc..

Maybe it is easier to "teach" the Forum how to handle Youtube (or whatever!) videos, maybe like this: ..... youtube.com/watch?v=l1G7TJD6Xu0
Then create a new Forum section for tutorial videos with areas for the single topics (dimensioning, hatch, layer, blocks ......),
Restrict the Forum member what means not everybody can upload videos (I hate that but in times like today),

........... or maybe I have just ask for to much with this topic :roll: :lol:

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 am

Husky wrote:But who has the time to do that? That could end up with hundreds of videos which has been watched, proven (Virus, Maleware etc.), sorted, uploaded, maintained (new and better one have to replace older one) etc. etc. etc..
Agreed, but just a safe idea - particularly if as you suggest 'restrict' forum members! It takes longer than you think to make a good screen cast and if there were too many submissions then it would need to be re-thought.
Husky wrote:Maybe it is easier to "teach" the Forum how to handle Youtube (or whatever!) videos, maybe like this: ..... youtube.com/watch?v=l1G7TJD6Xu0
Then create a new Forum section for tutorial videos with areas for the single topics (dimensioning, hatch, layer, blocks ......).
Possibly, but then we are back to the same problems with potential spammers etc... or restriction on users, which seems unfair.
Husky wrote:........... or maybe I have just ask for to much with this topic :roll: :lol:
Maybe - sometimes too much is also too much trouble!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 am

I was able to set up a BBCode tag for embedding youtube videos. Simply type the BBCode:

Code: Select all

[yt]youtube video ID[/yt]
For example:

Code: Select all

[yt]bGNIYEYWxm0[/yt]
I hope this will not get abused by spammers as it is non-standard BBCode. Most spammers we get are dumb bots running on virus infected computers.

Clive: A tutorial / video section on the web site is also a good idea. This can be done later, when enough material is available.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am

andrew wrote:I hope this will not get abused by spammers as it is non-standard BBCode. Most spammers we get are dumb bots running on virus infected computers.
I like the whole idea of this and for me too this was my concern but I suppose there is only one way to find out - by trying it :wink:
andrew wrote:Clive: A tutorial / video section on the web site is also a good idea. This can be done later, when enough material is available.
Thanks this is potentially interesting.

@Husky, well I look forward to seeing something :D

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 am

Youtube test

So far so good! 8)

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:31 am

First YOUTUBE Test ....

So far so good! A little bit more fine tuning on the Video Quality and we are ready to go. Thanks guys - that can save as a lot of written explanations and it is recyclable! :lol:

@Andrew
Do you now how we can block the "recommended clips" at the end of the video? 8)

Edit: I replaced the Video ... :wink:
Last edited by Husky on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:10 am

I'm getting the error "Embedding disabled by request, Watch on YouTube" when trying to play the video. On YouTube it works great! Cool stuff. You just might have to enable embedding somewhere in your video settings, I guess.

If recommended clips can be blocked that would likely also be on the YouTube side.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 pm

andrew wrote:I'm getting the error "Embedding disabled by request, Watch on YouTube" when trying to play the video.
Thanks for the feedback - I changed a setting, please try again (andrew+clive please).
andrew wrote:If recommended clips can be blocked that would likely also be on the YouTube side.
On Youtube is a possibility to share the video and copy a code with or without the "recommended clips" function. But that is the whole HTML Code and here we have only (and that is nice!) the possibility to but the Video ID in.

If I watch the Tutorial in this Thread for this Forum Software it must be possible to block the "recommended clips" in the BBCode (?) settings .... something like this "?rel=0" blocks the clips after the video. I tried every combination to hang it on the Video ID but nothing was working .... :cry:

Return to “Chat”