Problems opening a Qcad .dxf file in Autocad

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

cgraf
Newbie Member

Problems opening a Qcad .dxf file in Autocad

Post by cgraf » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I have problems with 2 of my drawings as they cannot be opened by Autocad (tried version 1006 and 2008). Opening the .dxf in Autocad shows an emty file and an error message "invalid .dxf file" and autocad indicates some problems with ellipses...

Does anybody have a clue ?

Thanks and regards

Christoph

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Christoph.

The problem with Autodesk is that they keep changing the goal posts, so to speak as far as importing DXF/ DWG files are concerned, making importing of ANY file made by any other application other than AutoCAD extremely difficult (fwiw, Inventor files won't open in AutoCAD either :shock: and both these apps are also Autodesk owned! :lol: ). This is a worldwide known problem for all- so you are not on your own :D

There was a way of importing DXF/ DXF R12 Q-Cad files to AutoCAD- I'm trying to remember. I may have to get back to you as I do not have AutoCAD here right now- but it does work.

You will however, have to run a few things in AutoCAD to get it to work- one thing however, is that text DOES NOT WORK! So try inputting text afterwards. Failing that, just throw AutoCAD in the bin and just use Q-Cad. You'll save a lot of money!

Tom

cgraf
Newbie Member

Post by cgraf » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Tom

Thanks a lot for your help.
The problem was finally solved by opening the QCAD file with turbocad, no changes, and saving it without options, then mailed to the cnc milling shop.

I got my 78 milled parts yesterday and it worked perfectly. So the solution is to open and save it using SolidEdge or turbocad. Both of them were tested.
We tried all on autocad, importing, opening etc but no results. For now the issue is solved (although I have to buy turbocad)...

Best regards

Christoph

P.S. Throwing acad to the bin works on my side, but the cnc milling company uses it, so no influence there...

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 am

Hi Christoph!

Great stuff! :lol:

Turbocad is a great program- another super bargain. The guy who wrote it is Tim Olson, who also wrote Concepts Unlimited. I've got something called ViaCAD ($99) as well- which is basically TurboCAD with a different name.

Did you know that Olson has new product called Shark FX- which allows for parametric constraints making it more suitable for mechanical CAD? As a Mac user, this is great news as I mainly use Solidworks and am eager to move away from Windows and all its annoying habits. :evil:

Q-Cad is an awesome program- Q-Cad is where I always stop at if I need to draw something really quickly 8)

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm

cgraf wrote:(although I have to buy turbocad)...
It's just occurred to me, have you tried Solidworks' eDrawings? eDrawings is free and opens up DXF files AND can re-export to DXF (it can also export to STL too!)

cgraf
Newbie Member

Post by cgraf » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Tom,

good idea, will try it !

Best regards

Christoph

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi again Christoph :)

Just checked- it had something to do withthe 'regen all' command and then writing some blurb in the command line- which I can't remember- it was 3 years back when I had to do that last, so sorry.

Did you know that you can run Q-Cad off a USB stick too? This is such a fantastic feature of Q-Cad imo. I've found this feature invaluable when using Q-Cad at work for eg, where they lock all the PC's down so you can't install anything. Q-Cad just happily runs off the stick instead. Very cool indeed.

thinker5555
Registered Member

Post by thinker5555 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

ttrw wrote:Hi again Christoph :)

Just checked- it had something to do withthe 'regen all' command and then writing some blurb in the command line- which I can't remember- it was 3 years back when I had to do that last, so sorry.
Hi Tom,

I thought I'd throw in that I'm interested in this, too, if you can come up with it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi fellas :)

Right;

01. Open dxf file in ACAD

02. File Menu/ Drawing Utilities/ Audit

03. Type 'y' (for yes) in the command line and hit return.

04. then type 'regen' and hit return again.

Zoom extents, and that's it!

You will almost certainly have trouble with ACAD printing any QCad text/ Unicode. The way around this is to stop supporting ACAD, throw it in the bin, save yourself a lot of money and encourage absolutely everybody you know to support QCad instead :D :!: :idea:

I hope that helps (and sorry for the delay).

ttrw

tj
Newbie Member

Re: Problems opening a Qcad .dxf file in Autocad

Post by tj » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:29 pm

cgraf wrote:I have problems with 2 of my drawings as they cannot be opened by Autocad (tried version 1006 and 2008). Opening the .dxf in Autocad shows an emty file and an error message "invalid .dxf file" and autocad indicates some problems with ellipses...

Does anybody have a clue ?

Thanks and regards

Christoph
Here's another solution! Please forgive the late reply.

Try http://www.anydwg.com

I am using this to easily convert Acad Drawings to dxf and back.

Hope this is helpful. Only caveat is that it is windows based.

TJ

gdmkk
Registered Member

Solution

Post by gdmkk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 pm

For text, just change all text in QCad as unicode and not standard.
Then open the dxf in AutoCad.
I tried and it does work!
G

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”