First drawing and dimensions...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

jaime

First drawing and dimensions...

Post by jaime » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi. I just installed qcad under Ubuntu and well, I went through the manual and just can't get this dimensions working properly. So let me start with what I would like to do.

1. I want to create a 7.5 (L) X 5.5 (W) inches metal plate with holes on it. Thickness say 1/8th of an inch.

2. I can create a rectangle, but when I choose to put in dimensions, I get nothing. How do I go about doing this. I know this is supposed to be very simple, but you can't just click on a line and type the dimension as in other programs and I've been on this for a day and a half now. So can someone tell me how this is done because I can't resize this either.

3. I checked and unchecked the draft button as some suggested on the forum, but I'm just not getting anywhere here. I like the program because it's simple, but just can't get started though. Any help is appreciated. I have clicked on all the buttons and also created separate layers as suggested on the manual, but still nothing...
Last edited by jaime on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonboy
Newbie Member

Dimensions

Post by jonboy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi, to add a dimension - select the kind of dimension you want to use, left click on one side of the entity you want to dimension, holding down the left mouse button drag out the dimension and release at the end point of the entity, the dimension text can now be set in the position you require by simply clicking the left mouse button. The dimension will now automatically display the required dimension.

Sometimes, depending on what snap you have set, it can be difficult to locate the dimension text, so I would recommend that when you have dragged out the dimension, before you set the dimension text, change the snap to free (sf).

Also, you need to run Qcad from its main directory, otherwise the dimension text does not appear. I hope this helps.

John.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: First drawing and dimensions...

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:42 pm

jaime wrote:but you can't just click on a line and type the dimension as in other programs
No. For a horizontal dimension QCad needs from you the following information:
  • The fact that the dimension is horizontal. You choose that by choosing the right dimensioning tool.
    The start point of the dimension (e.g. start point of a line)
    The end point of the dimension (e.g. end point of a line)
This complexity is necessary because you might not only want to dimension lengths of lines but maybe the distance from the center of a circle to an intersection between two lines or whatever..

Please keep a close eye on the status bar at the bottom of the application window. It always tells you what you have to do once you've chosen a tool.

jaime

Okay newbies, here's the right answer for this

Post by jaime » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

I just found half of the answer to my own question. But thanks for trying guys.

1. This is a very simple procedure as I knew it was.

2. The reason you can't see any dimensions it's because you need to go to edit-current drawing preferences-dimensions-and make those numbers big so you can see your dimensions! Specially the arrows. :) Man, and I thought my 20/20 was enough...ahhh...why are the defaults soooo small?

Just to clarify, you choose your dimension type, then click on one end, then the other, then go outside to where you want to place the dimension and you should see the actual dimension on the dimension line while you move your mouse out to where you want the line. If you want to stop making dimensions, then just press the esc key two or three times to get out of it.

3. Now, I think you can keep it at that for them to be defaults but I have yet to try it.

4. Now I just have to figure out how to change that number...anyone know how to change the dimension number?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Okay newbies, here's the right answer for this

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 pm

jaime wrote: 4. Now I just have to figure out how to change that number...anyone know how to change the dimension number?
You can type any custom text for the label while creating the dimension in the option toolbar. For existing dimensions, please select the dimension(s) and use the property editor to change the label(s).

jaime

Thanks Andrew

Post by jaime » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Just to clarify that for the newbies like me...

This is under - Modify-Properties, then just click on the line you want to change the labels to.

Do you know where I can change the actual dimension number though? I can't seem to find this yet.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Thanks Andrew

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

jaime wrote: This is under - Modify-Properties, then just click on the line you want to change the labels to.
What I meant is the Property Editor under
View - Toolbars - Property Editor

The property "Label" is what you need to change (empty = automatic label with measurement).

jaime

I got the community version

Post by jaime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 am

So under view-toolbars I get:
checked, file,edit,view,pen,tool options and line up?

jaime

I think I got it...

Post by jaime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:12 am

I thought about your correction and tried my suggestion for the label, then I changed it and the number did change.

Now, does this mean that this is my measurement and does this mean that the actual drawing doesn't really resize to any measurements you use because it really doesn't care about that in qcad drawings? I know a label is just label and a measurement is something else.I have used other cad programs so I'm just trying to understand what's happening here with this program, that's all. I guess I feel like I need to untrain myself from what I already know, but I thought I ask those who have a better understanding of it than I do.
Last edited by jaime on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: I think I got it...

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am

jaime wrote:I thought about your correction and tried my suggestion for the label, then I changed it and the number did change.

Now, does this mean that this is my measurement now and does this mean that the actual drawing doesn't really resize to any measurements you use because it really doesn't care about that in qcad drawings?
The dimension label is intended to give detailed information about a measurement in your drawing to the viewer of your drawing. The label might show additional information such as tolerances or it could be simply "A", "B", "C" in a figure that is used to explain something.

Before you dimension anything, you have to create an accurate and precise drawing. To answer your question: changing a dimension label does not (and should not) change your drawing.

jaime

Okay...

Post by jaime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 am

The label representation does make sense to me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out/visualize how Qcad deals with these. I'm just thinking in 3 Dimensional cad drawings. I know for 2D we just have the front, top and side which is all I want to do with this.

I'll keep hacking at this and maybe things will get more clear or confusing as I try to draw the holes and spacing from the edges.

jaime

Okay

Post by jaime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 am

I got a rectangle and a label with a number on it. I don't want to say it's the dimension since I'm still not connecting the dots on that. In any case I figure it this is all this program needs, then I should be able to print preview and print it out right, nope. I get a blank page and it prints a blank page. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, yeah, I am trying to make the accurate drawing which is the rectangle, now I want to just add the dimensions. Thanks.

jaime

Found the printing problem

Post by jaime » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:22 am

Just go to Modify-Properties, then click on the line you want to change and change the line width to .13mm ISO. This will show you what you have when you print preview your drawing. Why does the program default to something you can't see from the beginning, I have no idea.

Now I just need to know why the drawing is out of the area...maybe I need to scale it down...don't know just got big headache now.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”