Divide 2

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

marS

Divide 2

Post by marS » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am

Hello

Randomly this option doesn't work (divide 2)
Especially when I need to trim segments of intersecting circles (I'm on a Windows 7).
On a MAC I don't have this issue. What it could be?

Thanks!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Divide 2

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 am

What version of QCAD are you using (Help - About)?
Do you have any reproducible cases? If so, can you post the drawing and indicate which segment you are trying to break out?
Thanks.

marS

Post by marS » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 am

I'm using 3.1
The same version on Mac it's fine.

I was drawing a complex thing with multiple shapes and when it came to trim intersecting segments that were circle on circle, it didn't work. When the same circle hade lines intersecting (not circles) the lines were trimable(?)
I even tried closing the program and creating a new file and drawing just 2 intersecting circles and the problem persisted.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the details. I can reproduce this here with QCAD 3.1.5 (any platform). You are likely using a slightly older version on Windows (<= 3.1.4) which does not have that issue.

The problem has also been fixed for the next release.

marS

Post by marS » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm

v3.16 it's OK. Thank you!!

Just once while trimming 4/5 circles intersecting it trimmed in a wrong way. I repeated the same circles in the same order and worked fine. If I notice when it fails to trim as it should I'll report it.

Thanks again :mrgreen:

marS

Post by marS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I noticed that sometimes this function seems to not work because the line you are about to divide is a duplicate (has duplicate lines below).

One suggestion guys:
Today I was working with some drawings where I had to use often the D2 option
and I thought how faster this function would be if you can erase multiple sections just by holding the click.
Let's say you have lots of segments to erase. If you go one by one it takes time (sometime you miss them too if you dont click at the right point) but if you could hold the click and move to the segments you want to "clean" it would be a lot faster.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

marS wrote:Today I was working with some drawings where I had to use often the D2 option
and I thought how faster this function would be if you can erase multiple sections just by holding the click.
Let's say you have lots of segments to erase. If you go one by one it takes time (sometime you miss them too if you dont click at the right point) but if you could hold the click and move to the segments you want to "clean" it would be a lot faster.
Thanks for your suggestion.

In such a situation, I would not use the 'break out segment' but the the other divide tool (Modify - Divide) to cut the entity at two points and then delete the segment in between.

marS

Post by marS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Ok I see what you mean.
Attachments
d2.jpg
made this screenshot for better understanding...
d2.jpg (140.04 KiB) Viewed 17857 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for the picture, it says more than 1000 words, as usual :)

I think this situation would be best resolved with a tool that allows the user to draw a sequence of lines (shown in magenta below). The tool would then delete all segments that are intersected by that sequence of lines, what do you think?
Attachments
intersect_divide.png
intersect_divide.png (24.69 KiB) Viewed 17856 times

marS

Post by marS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes, even better!!!
This way you don't risk to delete what's needed because of a not firm hand while holding the button.

Maybe it could be this way:
You select "divide 2" option and you have 3 ways to trim:

· one click = (as usual) erases one segment at the time;
· hold click and drag = erases the segments in the path of the moving cursor;
· right click (or maybe a keyboard + click combo) = you erase by drawing precise lines.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm

@marS, I could do with a tool too for cleaning things up like this at work :wink: .

@andrew, how about using a combination of a select tool and a modify tool -a 'Select and Cut' tool ? Which will only cut the selected parts of a whole entity!
Select and Cut tool suggestion.png
Select and Cut tool suggestion.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 17615 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

@marS: Thanks for your suggestions.
hold click and drag = erases the segments in the path of the moving cursor
Dragging the mouse to achieve something is usually not considered to be precise and unambiguous as typically required by CAD applications. The problem is that a freehand mouse movement results mathematically in a series of an infinite number of infinitely small line movements (realistically speaking it is a very large series of very small line movements). The exact resolution of the movement depends on the current zoom level of the drawing view as well as available processing power (how often is the mouse position registered). This leads to unexpected results, for example if the operating system 'hangs' for a moment while doing some other CPU intensive task. As you might have noticed, there is only one tool in QCAD that relies on the exact mouse movement (to draw freehand lines).

@Clive: Tools based on a rectangular geometry are often inconvenient for non-rectangular situations as shown below. Also round(ish) situations would probably be better covered with a polyline-type tool than a rectangle-based tool.
Attachments
intersect_divide_b.png
intersect_divide_b.png (35.44 KiB) Viewed 17844 times

marS

Post by marS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm not a programmer so I don't know the work behind (what to me naivly seemed) a simple mouse movement =)
So of course between having a faster tool but at the same time risking to crash/slow the program (if I understood that is the issue) well of course I would choose otherwise.

The option that Clive gave too seemed good but when you showed that picture (rotated) then It looked difficult in that case.
So Clive's suggestion is ok in some cases but difficult in others.
We must find an option wich would be usable in all cases and at the same time possibly be faster to use than the one we already have.
For the moment the way to erase with the straight lines is very good.
The only thing (my personal opinion) is to have this extra in the same tool:
You launch this option the same way (from the menu or by typing "D2") and activate it by holding SHIFT, for example.
If SHIFT is not pushed, you have the old way (click to erase - one by one).

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”