Slipform Stone Garden Bed

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Kutakizukari
Newbie Member

Slipform Stone Garden Bed

Post by Kutakizukari » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:21 am

Wanting to make a slipform stone garden bed. When I zoom in or look at different distantness the lines are not connecting right. How do I fix?
Once the stones are set and concrete poured the forms will be removed so the center should be 4’ and each side.

Boards are 3” ½
Plywood is ½”

Inside form measurements:

43” ½ for the thick board
47” ½ for the thin board

Outside Form Measurements:

76” ½ for the thick board
72” ½ for the thin board

Not sure how to get precision with QCAD or my measurements are wrong?
Attachments
garden bed.png
garden bed.png (16.21 KiB) Viewed 11494 times

Clive

Re: Slipform Stone Garden Bed

Post by Clive » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Kutakizukari and welcome to the forum

Did you design this in QCAD or is it from another application.

Are you able to submit the drawing here on the forum?

If you have used QCAD for this design then entering in the correct lengths in the tool fields should give you precise outcomes! You can correct any wrong lengths by firstly selecting a line (entity) and changing the length in the property editor, this will then dynamically change the line length in your actual drawing (in model space).
Once the lengths have been adjusted you then may need to trim or breakout unwanted areas with the modify tools!

Or alternatively you can just draw extra lines to 'fill' any gaps that you have. Without actually seeing your drawing in front of me it is tricky to give any extra advice.

It may be that if there are way too many corrections to complete - it may be a whole lot easier to start over...but if you do, remember that you only need to draw one complete part and then use the copy/paste options in QCAD if you need to repeat any thing :wink:

Ask as many questions as you need to.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 am

Hi Kutakizukari - welcome in the forum!
Kutakizukari wrote:Not sure how to get precision with QCAD or my measurements are wrong?
It seems to me that your calculation/measurement is correct!
Husky-2013.10.02-03.png
Husky-2013.10.02-03.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 11478 times
Have you used rectangle with size / parallel lines etc. for your drawing and for move/copy tasks the snap functions to place the entities precisely?

Kutakizukari
Newbie Member

Post by Kutakizukari » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 am

I uploaded the attachment, what i'm having trouble with is when I butt the boards up to each other it looks sloppy. I'm not a CAD person but trying. Not sure if when butted up next to each other the line should like like one or a double line? When I try to snap it to the end it is always off and when I try to free hand place the boards next to each other it may look good at one point but not when I zoom in and out. Thank you for the replies!!!
Attachments
Rasied Garden Bed slipform stone.dxf
(34.22 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Kutakizukari
Newbie Member

Post by Kutakizukari » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 am

@Husky I can't seem to get the red measurements to show up like you have done with that image. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 am

Kutakizukari wrote:When I try to snap it to the end it is always off ...
You are doing it like this or at least comparable?

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:41 am

Kutakizukari wrote:@Husky I can't seem to get the red measurements to show up like you have done with that image. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
The function to make measurements like that are already implemented in QCAD. They are red, just in my example, because I used a Layer with red line attributes. :wink:

J-J

Post by J-J » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello Kutakizukari,
When zooming in your drawing, your lines are indeed not connected. Maybe you are not familiar enough with the way snap tools can be used.
In your project, since the design is based on several identical entities, it can be efficient to make a bloc for each rectangle, with the reference point in one angle. The rectangle is quickly constructed with the dedicated tool (Rectangle with size, enter your side dim in the boxes).
Then, from the bloc list you can insert copies and position them exactly, using the rotate drop list and "snap intersection", ("auto snap" will also work) to locate the new copy precisely at the corner of the previous one.
You may also draw a temporary square on another layer to help you locate your blocks precisely, layer may then be hidden or deleted. There are often more than one method to achieve your goals...Practicing is the way to learn.
Just keep in mind that precision in CAD has to do with snap tools, you must dig into that if you want to become proficient ( I really recommend Andrew's book if you are not familiar with this kind of software: http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation)
Hers your project with bloc example:

Good luck and come back any time on the forum

JJ
Attachments
Rasied Garden Bed slipform stone wblocks.dxf
(157.02 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”