new in town

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

sramp

new in town

Post by sramp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Hello Everybody,
I'm a software developer and I would like to make communicate and interact QCad with other software applications.
For these reason I'm really interested to learn as much as possible about scripting.
In the past I have used the Qt framework to create cross-platform applications, so I hope that my previous experiences can help me in this new challenge.
Unluckily I have not a great knowledge of CAD software, so I hope to find in this forum some inspiration, help and support.
Thanks
sramp

andrew
Site Admin

Re: new in town

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello and welcome!
sramp wrote:I'm a software developer and I would like to make communicate and interact QCad with other software applications.
Are you thinking about interaction on a data level (e.g. through importing and exporting files) or on a higher level (e.g. starting tools and modifying drawings from other applications)?
sramp wrote:In the past I have used the Qt framework to create cross-platform applications, so I hope that my previous experiences can help me in this new challenge.
It most certainly will. QCAD scripts can access almost all of the Qt API. Only the syntax is slightly different from C++ since it's ECMAScript (JavaScript).

Feel free to post any questions or specific problems you are trying to solve to our developer forum at:
http://qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=30

sramp

Post by sramp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the reply.
Are you thinking about interaction on a data level (e.g. through importing and exporting files) or on a higher level (e.g. starting tools and modifying drawings from other applications)?
As a first approach I'll try to export some data read from the drawings adding also some supporting user interface.
After this, we will see, as you know ... appetite comes with eating :)

Thank you
sramp

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:03 pm

sramp wrote:After this, we will see, as you know ... appetite comes with eating :)
Sounds interesting, please keep us posted.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”