Use QCAD for a web application.

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

rck3626
Newbie Member

Use QCAD for a web application.

Post by rck3626 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

I am making a cloud application that creates drawings automatically from user data. I have built a php engine that produces dxf files but cannot find anybody with enough dxf knowledge to make the files viable. I was very please to find QCAD because it seems to be the solution that will bring my application to life. It looks very powerful and programmable.

I would like to know whether there is a QCAD license that would allow me to install it on an application server to run in 'batch' mode. QCAD would receive jobs from a queue, process them and output dxf files. Users would submit data via a simple web form and receive their dxf file via email. I guess I would have to bring C++, ECMAScript and QCAD API expertise into the business. Is there a QCAD bundle that has everything I need to install as described above.

P.S. I'm a CAD user and business owner but not a software engineer.

Regards,

Rob.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Use QCAD for a web application.

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for your interest in QCAD.
rck3626 wrote:I would like to know whether there is a QCAD license that would allow me to install it on an application server to run in 'batch' mode. QCAD would receive jobs from a queue, process them and output dxf files. Users would submit data via a simple web form and receive their dxf file via email.
Yes, for that kind of use case, we offer a server license:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/shop/product. ... roduct=206
I guess I would have to bring C++, ECMAScript and QCAD API expertise into the business. Is there a QCAD bundle that has everything I need to install as described above.
Most likely you will only need the ECMAScript (JavaScript) API. Although QCAD can be extended using C++ plugins, this is only recommended if your application needs to leverage additional functionality contained in an existing C++ library.
The ECMAScript interface of QCAD gives you access to almost the entire API of Qt and QCAD. The Qt API offers generic functionality such as user interface components, database access, networking, multimedia, XML, etc.
The QCAD API offers the CAD specific functionality on top of that.

For more details and possibilities about licensing, please refer to our web site at:
http://www.qcad.org/en/license

A brief introduction into the scripting capabilities of QCAD is available at:
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentati ... -scripting

rck3626
Newbie Member

Post by rck3626 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Great! you have a license I can use.

Would it be possible for me to use these forums to find an expert to hire to handle the implementation and customisation?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm

rck3626 wrote:Would it be possible for me to use these forums to find an expert to hire to handle the implementation and customisation?
Yes, sure.
I'm also happy to help if that is helpful.

QCAD is a pretty dynamic project with new releases almost every month. That makes it quite feasible to extend QCAD towards better supporting your use case if necessary.

rck3626
Newbie Member

Post by rck3626 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm

As the person that originated QCAD, I don't think we could find any better help than from you. Could you contact me through my registered email address to chat?

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”