What do people use QCAD for?

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Re: What do people use QCAD for?

Post by Clive » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 am

Any new users for this topic, it's always good to hear what QCAD is being used for :wink: .

matthiaswm

Post by matthiaswm » Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I design and build 3d printers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixuO-4IBRHg

srl

Post by srl » Wed May 29, 2013 6:36 am

I have used it for all my Depron flying aircraft. With profile designs 2D suits me fine.
I've been able to modify CamExpert to turn out suitable GCode for my Hobby mill running Linuxcnc.
You can see the results at http://srlfoamies.com .
I only work part time so I'm hoping to soon produce some extra income from it.
srl

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 pm

srl wrote:I have used it for all my Depron flying aircraft.
Nice flying aircraft models! Thanks for sharing that! How long last the batteries?
Right now it seems to me that we have a Aerial Drone Quad copter boom with cameras - maybe something what you could also build? Ok - just kidding - I know, that is a complete different story ...

srl wrote:I've been able to modify CamExpert to turn out suitable GCode for my Hobby mill running Linuxcnc.
Have you notice that there is a new CAM add-on for QCAD? Maybe you like to test it for your Hobby mill.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2409
srl wrote: ...I'm hoping to soon produce some extra income from it.
Have you considered to sell just the plans?

regards
Husky

srl

Post by srl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 am

For the moment I'll be staying with Cam-Expert as I have the G-code Z depth variables and F(speed) linked to layer names. I have paths for rapid move so all I have to do is select the start and when it finds layer "end' a M30 is made to the file.
Being able to select contour and output G-code would be great but I don't know if its classes are available In standard Qcad.
My business plan is based on the high cost of freight to Australia from Europe . Its only a small market.

srl.

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 am

Any more feedback from QCAD users for this topic -its always good to hear what QCAD is being used for 8) .

srl

Post by srl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:17 pm

I've spent the last week and a bit on making the change to Qcad3-cam and its done, well a little bit of practical testing to go. I did a little C++ years ago and its come in handy. Boland C++ is long gone!
Z variable setting to layer name as well as feedrate, rapid and G41-42 offset. It works on CNClinux so variables seem to be #10 upwards. I use a capital letter in the layer name to set it along with a value(# and Z). A 'R' in the name turns a line into a Rapid and if no G41-42 is in then a G40 appears to send it back to center .
So Qcad has been used to test my programming skills.
srl

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 am

srl wrote:I did a little C++ years ago and its come in handy. Boland C++ is long gone!
Excellent feed back, it just goes to prove that things we learn never go unwasted :wink:. I'm sure you will have good things in mind for QCAD/CAM. Please feel free to share any good tips, projects or indeed scripts here on the forum 8) .
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

rck3626
Newbie Member

Post by rck3626 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I am making a cloud application that creates drawings automatically from user data. I have built a php engine that produces dxf files but cannot find anybody with enough dxf knowledge to make the files viable. I was very please to find QCAD because it seems to be the solution that will bring my application to life. It looks very powerful and programmable.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Calling all QCAD users ... any more for this topic, it's refreshing and inspiring to know what people around the world are using QCAD for.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

J-J

Post by J-J » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Clive,
For info, we are launching the second hybrid boat on Thursday, only 12m, 2x 12 kW electric and 2x 90 kw diesel. Electric set-up done on QCAD. :)
JJ Win7 pro-64

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi J-J
Good luck with the launch, maybe you could post some photo's again.

J-J

Post by J-J » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:26 pm

News on the second hybrid passenger boat: Launched and left the berth on electric power. Max speed close to 7 kts under two 12 kW motors.
Enjoy the pictures.
Attachments
CIMG2737.jpg
CIMG2737.jpg (282.71 KiB) Viewed 169626 times
CIMG2734.jpg
CIMG2734.jpg (313.34 KiB) Viewed 169626 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Hey J-J, thanks, that really is something. I could see myself sitting in one of those chairs on deck, ready for a light cruise 8) .

kazmer

Post by kazmer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 pm

I am using QCAD mostly to create floorplans vis-a-vis the electrical bits (wiring and the like) of a building. Not too long ago, when a friend moved in a new rent, we have used QCAD very extensively to plan the space for furniture and things (that is, she commandeered and I did the eye-rolling bit). It was invaluable help, probably saving her a lot of frustration and me a lot of extra work.

There's always the little mechanical design things too, and sometimes just the general goofing around, just for fun and trying things out - you never know when will it come handy :).

Return to “Chat”