Limits to QCAD before it crashes

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

frigitar
Newbie Member

Limits to QCAD before it crashes

Post by frigitar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello all,

My QCAD (3.4.6 PRO) running on Windows 7 (SP1, 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM) crashes rather frequently. This mostly happens when I am moving large amounts of objects or even a few Hatches around in the drawing.
Is QCAD not meant for this stuff?

For example, in order to have the borders of structural objects shown above the hatches (which are used to color code them), I tried cut+pasting them so the draw order would be later and the lines would show on the hatch and not vice versa. Image linking did not work although there is a URL option above! If you care, it is on tinypic.com/r/14mx9pt/8
However simply 'cutting with reference' 448 entities (each of which is the same block) causes my QCAD to crash. And also crash so bad that it can't manage an Autosave or remember it crashed the last time when it restarts :(

Am I pushing my luck using this software or is there hope? The performance monitor I ran during the last crash showed I was on 50% Memory usage (but 112% frequency) if that helps.

Appreciate any help. Thank you, kind people.
Frig

Win Error Log:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: qcad.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 52f139d8
Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.30319.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba1dbbe
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0008d635
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1031
Additional Information 1: 585f
Additional Information 2: 585f301f5553354577ddbb1d2991ae3e
Additional Information 3: 1d14
Additional Information 4: 1d14622bb90601e6b34d88e6b16a5838

Notes: At 12.15pm Apr. 09 2014 while trying to cut & paste a large number of objects
Attachments
14mx9pt.png
14mx9pt.png (13.56 KiB) Viewed 12159 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Limits to QCAD before it crashes

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:11 pm

frigitar wrote:Image linking did not work although there is a URL option above!
My apologies, this is a measure to prevent spam. Note that you can simply attach images to your post directly ("Upload attachment" below post form).
frigitar wrote:However simply 'cutting with reference' 448 entities (each of which is the same block) causes my QCAD to crash.
Thanks for your report.
Could you please attach or e-mail your drawing file, so we can try to reproduce the problem here and fix it? Thanks.
As an immediate workaround, you might want to use the move tool instead (Modify > Move).
And also crash so bad that it can't manage an Autosave or remember it crashed the last time when it restarts :(
Autosave is triggered automatically in intervals configurable in Edit > Application Preferences > Load/Save > Autosave

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi frigitar and welcome

Out of interest what type of drawing are you having these issues with - Architectural, Mechanical or other ?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

frigitar
Newbie Member

Post by frigitar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'll send you, Andrew, the file so you can reproduce the problem - its not fun though. Modify move works fine but I wanted to 'recreate' these items so that the draw order is after the hatches I already have on there. With a later draw order, I would hope that they would be drawn on top. Hence I wanted to go the cut + paste route. Any other way I can change the draw order? I read on another thread that this option does not exist on QCAD as its not seen as important to CAD principles or something like that... e_ugeek

@Clive : Thanks - Yes its rather Architectural I would say, if at all. But its just basic drafting really. A bunch of blocks as you can see in the image I linked to. It could be anything - a floor plan, a plan for a hall or as in my case an outdoor plant site plan.
But yeah the drawing spans out over about 100x200 meters, if that is important.

frig

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:14 pm

frigitar wrote:Modify move works fine but I wanted to 'recreate' these items so that the draw order is after the hatches I already have on there. With a later draw order, I would hope that they would be drawn on top. Hence I wanted to go the cut + paste route. Any other way I can change the draw order?
You can move entities to the front with Modify > Bring to Front. Alternatively, you may use the property editor (View > Property Editor) to change the property 'Draw Order' of the current selection. Entities are drawn in the same order as this value. I.e. The higher the value, the more on top the entities are.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for the file, frig.

I am able to reproduce the problem here with QCAD 3.4.6 on all platforms.

The problem is caused by reported bug #1032 (http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1032). This has already been fixed for the upcoming 3.4.7 release.

The best workaround for your situation is:
- Right-click on block 'Table 12' and choose 'Select Block References'
- Modify > Bring to Front

frigitar
Newbie Member

Post by frigitar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Ah there is a draw order option! Sweeeet.
Helpful. Thanks.

Glad the other issue's been solved.

frig

frigitar
Newbie Member

Post by frigitar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

You can move entities to the front with Modify > Bring to Front. Alternatively, you may use the property editor (View > Property Editor) to change the property 'Draw Order' of the current selection. Entities are drawn in the same order as this value. I.e. The higher the value, the more on top the entities are.

Sorry I have a follow up question. Is there a shortcut to bring up the property editor? Or a way to have it float in a small minimised icon (like in autocad) when an item is selected so that it can be clicked and expanded? Or a button on the toolbar?

Right now, I click on an object, go to view>toolbars>property editor , which is too long ... also I don't want to have the property editor as a fixed pane since it considerably decreases my workspace.

frig

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Is there a shortcut to bring up the property editor?
GP (see also menu which lists all the key codes)
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 15.53.44.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 15.53.44.png (38.32 KiB) Viewed 12144 times
Or a way to have it float in a small minimised icon (like in autocad) when an item is selected so that it can be clicked and expanded?
No
Or a button on the toolbar?
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 15.51.48.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 15.51.48.png (13.43 KiB) Viewed 12144 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Meanwhile QCAD 3.4.7 has been released which fixes the problem with cut/copy/paste and block references.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”