Some questions before buying

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Idealos
Newbie Member

Some questions before buying

Post by Idealos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 am

Hi everybody,

The first thing The first thing I want to say is thank you for such excellent work.
I will like to buy QCad for my company, so I have some important questions:

- My company is an façades architectural engineering, Do you know about other similar company that use Qcad?

- We need some tools very important for us, and I don't know if Qcad has it, for example: It's possible to show the property of mass for a closed contour (region) like Inertia of principal axis, center of gravity....

- It's possible to configure the mouse for to do the right button like enter after command active....(similar to Autocad)
- Why do not can to input data in command line always (when there is a command active, I need to get the focus in command line)

- I can not to lengthen a line until other entity

-How can to do a boundary (polyline) choosing entities

......to be continued

Thank you
QCad Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Some questions before buying

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 am

Idealos wrote:- My company is an façades architectural engineering, Do you know about other similar company that use Qcad?
There might be, but I wouldn't know.
Idealos wrote:- We need some tools very important for us, and I don't know if Qcad has it, for example: It's possible to show the property of mass for a closed contour (region) like Inertia of principal axis, center of gravity....
No. You could create a feature request at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... &project=1

It is also possible to sponsor new tools and features.
Idealos wrote:- It's possible to configure the mouse for to do the right button like enter after command active....(similar to Autocad)
No. QCAD uses the right mouse button to go back one step in the progress of the current tool.
Idealos wrote:- Why do not can to input data in command line always (when there is a command active, I need to get the focus in command line)
The use of the command line is optional in QCAD.
You can however press the space bar to quickly get the focus of the command line. E.g. to draw lines: space, "line", enter.
Note that QCAD also provides two letter shortcuts which are usually faster than commands. When the command line does NOT have the focus, simply press the 'l' key, then the 'i' key to start drawing lines.
Idealos wrote:- I can not to lengthen a line until other entity
- Modify - Trim
- Choose limiting entity
- Choose entity to lengthen
Idealos wrote:-How can to do a boundary (polyline) choosing entities
- Select - (De-)Select Polygon

hungerburg
Premier Member

Post by hungerburg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 am

I wanted to recommend snapperpendicular to lengthen a line to where it would intersect with another one by means of the mouse. I use this a lot myself via auto-snap. In a quick test, I learned though, that snapperpendicular does not work this way. That is, it does when both lines are at a right angle, but not, when at any other angle: I cannot make sense of it at all. Andrew, would you care to explain?

(PS: sorry for hijacking this thread, it fits just so good. this with QCAD 3.4.1)

Idealos
Newbie Member

Post by Idealos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 am

andrew wrote:- No. You could create a feature request at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... &project=1

It is also possible to sponsor new tools and features.
I need to do a new user, or I can use the forum profile (I tried to do it and tells me I have no permissions)

andrew wrote:-
- Modify - Trim
- Choose limiting entity
- Choose entity to lengthen
Can I do it with selection area for more than one line)

andrew wrote:- Select - (De-)Select Polygon
I am not able to do it. I want to convert one polygone that is not a closed polyline to it. Can you show me step by step.
Thank you again
QCad Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 am

hungerburg wrote:I wanted to recommend snapperpendicular to lengthen a line to where it would intersect with another one by means of the mouse. I use this a lot myself via auto-snap. In a quick test, I learned though, that snapperpendicular does not work this way. That is, it does when both lines are at a right angle, but not, when at any other angle: I cannot make sense of it at all. Andrew, would you care to explain?
The short answer is that perpendicular snap generally only applies when drawing lines. See also:
http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/ref ... ar_en.html

It is also possible to use perpendicular snap in other situations. Just keep in mind that the snap point is the intersection point of the line from the relative zero point, perpendicular to the entity.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

Idealos wrote:Can I do it with selection area for more than one line)
No. Such an operation would not be defined (the click point where you choose the entity defines which end point of the entity is trimmed).
Idealos wrote:I am not able to do it. I want to convert one polygone that is not a closed polyline to it. Can you show me step by step.
My answer was for selecting all entities inside a polygonal area:
http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/ref ... on_en.html

To convert separate lines and arcs into a polyline, please use Draw - Polyline - Create from Segments:
http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/ref ... ts_en.html

Idealos
Newbie Member

Post by Idealos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi again,

- Can I do dimension styles?

- It's possible to apply hatch to different cells into a big polygone, doing click in every different boundary?

Thank you
QCad Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Idealos wrote:- Can I do dimension styles?
No.
Idealos wrote:- It's possible to apply hatch to different cells into a big polygone, doing click in every different boundary?
No.

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”