Construction lines?

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ironcom
Registered Member

Construction lines?

Post by ironcom » Sun May 29, 2016 3:01 am

Hello. Currently trying out the trial version of QCad on windows 10 64 bit. I have only ever used a very simple 2D CAD software known as "Tops Cad" for use with Trumpf laser and CNC punch machines. I have been using it for over 12 years and have become very good at it. One of the features that Tops Cad has that is very useful is called Construction Lines. A new, blank part already has construction lines marking x0.0 and y0.0 and the go to infinity. So basically you select either zero construction line, input a distance and it creates a construction line in whatever direction you move your mouse that distance. Is there anything like that in Qcad? Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Construction lines?

Post by Husky » Sun May 29, 2016 8:57 am

Hello ironcom - welcome to the forum.
ironcom wrote:Hello. Currently trying out the trial version of QCad on windows 10 64 bit. I have only ever used a very simple 2D CAD software known as "Tops Cad" for use with Trumpf laser and CNC punch machines. I have been using it for over 12 years and have become very good at it. One of the features that Tops Cad has that is very useful is called Construction Lines. A new, blank part already has construction lines marking x0.0 and y0.0 and the go to infinity. So basically you select either zero construction line, input a distance and it creates a construction line in whatever direction you move your mouse that distance. Is there anything like that in Qcad? Thanks
Yes and no .... if I understand the functionality of this Tops Cad Construction lines correct then ...

No - there is not a function in QCAD which calls automatically "Construction Lines".

Yes - there are many professional tools in QCAD implemented which could solve the problem - maybe even more flexible and easier as with Tops Cad. Best thing to do would be to give us an example and we are more than happy to show you a possible way to solve that task with QCAD tools.

First what I can think of is to work with a grid or Line from 2 Points with the "Restricted angle and/or length" option - or ... or ... or ...
However, that depends certainly on the task. :wink:

Do you have a concrete example to play with?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ironcom
Registered Member

Re: Construction lines?

Post by ironcom » Sun May 29, 2016 12:17 pm

What is the best option for training on QCad?

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”