Introduction and ? s

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Bryan
Registered Member

Introduction and ? s

Post by Bryan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi all,
Name's Bryan. From USA, North Carolina
Dropping Auto Desk and have a few questions.
Is QCAD a subscription? If so, is there more than one possible length of a subscription?
Does QCAD have layering abilities, off, on, ability to draw in the current layer only?
Doing landscape design and I draw all of my objects for a more "unique" effect... are lineweights variable?
Can I "join" separate lines as long as they are the same "type"... ex: join two separate polylines?
Can I assign block and XRef status? Can the objects I create be stored in a "Design Center" type of setting that I can access from different drawings?
Can I work in "Polar co ordinates", degrees, minutes, seconds, north to south?
Is QCAD available in 2D only?

Thank you.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Introduction and ? s

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 am

Hi Bryan,
Bryan wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm
Is QCAD a subscription?
No. If you purchased the software you can use it for ever.
Bryan wrote:
Does QCAD have layering abilities, off, on, ability to draw in the current layer only?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Doing landscape design and I draw all of my objects for a more "unique" effect... are lineweights variable?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Can I "join" separate lines as long as they are the same "type"... ex: join two separate polylines?
Yes and no.
Yes to polylines. No to lines etc. At least not directly. e_surprised You can join lines converting them to a polyline. In a perfect world you could then explode them afterward to convert it back to a single line. Depends on situation!
Bryan wrote:
Can I assign block and XRef status? Can the objects I create be stored in a "Design Center" type of setting that I can access from different drawings?
Yes and no.
Yes to blocks.
1. Used directly in and for the actual drawing
2. Used out of a Library (Design Center) for multiple drawings.
No to XREF. A Library item used in a drawing will be autarch with no further connection to the Library source.
Bryan wrote:
Can I work in "Polar co ordinates", degrees, minutes, seconds, north to south?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Is QCAD available in 2D only?
Yes.

This QCAD feature list will help you to answer all your questions ...

https://www.qcad.org/en/documentation/features

... or a free of charge trial will give you a better feeling for the software: :wink:

https://www.qcad.org/de/qcad-downloads-trial

Based on the ratio "Introducing" "Pre-sales Questions" I will move this topic to "Pre-sales Questions".
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

wynnjones

Post by wynnjones » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:33 am

Thank you very much Huskey. the regen function was easy to use - labels on Centre is just a little fad of mine! Happy days, Tim

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:46 am

Bryan wrote:
... are lineweights variable?
QCAD supports the standard lineweights 0.00--2.11mm in any standard or custom installed Linetype.
The Lineweight is a unique property for whole the entity and is not variable along the entity.
For these lineweights QCAD uses a round pen.

Apart from a Lineweight one can specify a custom global Width for Polylines, there is no real limit on what size you use.
And one can specify start and end Widths for every individual Polyline segment.
For Polylines with Widths QCAD uses a flat pen.
This is rendered differently where line segments meet or for arc segments.

One can merge any line-art to polylines, when required it is approximated by line and arc segments.
The downside is that merging Polylines with other line-art may not retain global or local Widths.
This should be fixed when reversing a Polyline its orientation.
Defining Widths is best done in a final stage.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”