3 axis VMC and wire EDM

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

wadefree85
Registered Member

3 axis VMC and wire EDM

Post by wadefree85 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Hello - I am a CNC programmer and have been primarily using MasterCAM for programming 3 axis VMCs doing progressive die detail work. In a few months I will be moving to a very small family run shop where purchasing a MasterCAM license is not feasible. Would QCAM be suitable for simple 3 axis mill programming and holemaking on a CNC wire edm? I understand this software probably doesn't offer HEM or 3D form, but at this shop that won't be necessary. Thanks for any input!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: 3 axis VMC and wire EDM

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 am

Hello,

Please refer to our QCAD/CAM tutorial at:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-qcad-cam

This should give you a pretty good idea about what is feasible with QCAD/CAM and what not. Don't hesitate to post back if you have any further questions or example files or screenshots.

wadefree85
Registered Member

Post by wadefree85 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Thank you! I see the tutorial shows profile cutting and allows for cutter compensation.. this should definitely work for a wire EDM, but will the software post canned cycles for drilling and tapping, pockets, etc? Is that something I would need to manually add in to the post processor?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:19 pm

Pockets could be realized using the offset tool as described here:
viewtopic.php?&t=5411

Drilling toolpaths are possible, also with multiple passes.

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”