Defining line length and distance between lines

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Jolie
Newbie Member

Defining line length and distance between lines

Post by Jolie » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 am

I am doing something very wrong. When I attempt to duplicate a line using distance or when I create a line using length, I'm ending up with feet instead of inches. Did I miss a setting? I've tried using " along with value but I still get feet.

Also, I want to ask about line creation in general. Is there no way to use line from two points while also entering length or must the other line widgets be used?

Thanks, Jolie
Mac, OS 11.6.1 (Big Sur)

QCAD Professional Trial
v 3.27.1.0, rev 2726424

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Defining line length and distance between lines

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 am

Jolie wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 am
I am doing something very wrong. When I attempt to duplicate a line using distance or when I create a line using length, I'm ending up with feet instead of inches. Did I miss a setting? I've tried using " along with value but I still get feet.
QCAD will use the unit declared below Menu / Edit / Drawing Preferences / General / Drawing Unit
If the setting is inch - every value used in a dialog is in inch.
If the setting is foot - every value used in a dialog is in foot.
Jolie wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 am
Also, I want to ask about line creation in general. Is there no way to use line from two points while also entering length or must the other line widgets be used?
Please for the next time - only one question per post. Thanks. :wink:

If you use "Line from 2 Points" you can restrict the distance in increments.

Husky-2022.01.01-05.png
Husky-2022.01.01-05.png (9.28 KiB) Viewed 12231 times

Start "Line from 2 Points", make the restriction (Restrict length or angle) in the option bar available, restrict the distance with a value of e.g. 50. Place the first point for your line - the second point will only snap to distances like 50, 100, 150 and so on. To keep better track on what happens turn "Display Distance/Angle" on with the F8 key on your keyboard. The Mouse pointer will now display the values. Hit F8 up to three times for different display modes.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Jolie
Newbie Member

Post by Jolie » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:52 am

Thank you for the quick response. Changing the setting in Edit/Drawing Preferences/General/Drawing Unit didn't fix it (could be due to artifacts in drawing I copied over?).
However, I also changed it in Application and tested in a new document and that DOES work.

Regarding the second question (sorry about that), I do not have the option bar. Again, I'm sure this is a settings issue and there will be a learning curve. But I'm just trying to go through some basics before I commit to purchase.

Thanks

Jolie
Newbie Member

Post by Jolie » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:54 am

Also, I'm on a Mac. The only thing F8 does is launch iTunes, lol.

Jolie
Newbie Member

Post by Jolie » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:59 am

oops, sorry Husky, I found the options bar.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:33 am

Jolie wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:59 am
oops, sorry Husky, I found the options bar.
Great! :wink:

I'm wondering why F8 triggers a different action. Do you have a default or customized assignment of your keyboard keys?

What shortcut is listed in QCAD behind the "Display Distance/Angle" command below Menu / View?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:41 am

Jolie wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:52 am
Changing the setting in Edit/Drawing Preferences/General/Drawing Unit didn't fix it (could be due to artifacts in drawing I copied over?).
Curious on how you determined that feet were used instead of inches.
All displayed values are unitless.
A distance of 20.000 can mean 20 mm, 20 inches or 20 feet, depending your drawing unit.

If you change the drawing unit, nothing in your drawing actually changes.
A distance of 20.000 would remain 20.000 and an offset would simply be the same.

If a drawing was in feet and you need it in inches, you need to use menu Edit .. Convert Drawing Unit (CU).

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:59 am

Jolie wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:54 am
Also, I'm on a Mac. The only thing F8 does is launch iTunes, lol.
Try holding down the function (Fn) key while hitting F8. Does that work? On MacOS there is an option to have the function keys trigger their special alternate actions and if that option is on, you have to hold down the Fn key to trigger the standard F1-F12 keys. You can change that in the keyboard settings if you wish so that the standard function keys are the default instead.

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”