My Short Hopefully Usefull Wish List.

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

ezen
Newbie Member

My Short Hopefully Usefull Wish List.

Post by ezen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:21 am

I've been using QCad Pro for a few months now and I have to say that I love this simple program for field work!

I totally love the "keep it simple" approach for my preliminary work.
With that in mind...here is my wish list.
I hope it's worth some thought.
Peace,
Bill

1. .PNG Export as well. - For further compatibility with graphics programs.

2. Using "SHIFT" and/or "CTRL" keys to snap at 15 degree angles while drawing. ie: using shift while drawing a line will allow you to visually snap to desired angle in 15 degree increments. Sort of like "ORTHO on Steroids" :) Linux's Kolourpaint uses this already and it's awesome! :)

3. The ability to place user specified amount of equally spaced "references" on an entity that can then be snapped to. ie: placing "X" amount of snap points on a line or circle and snapping to and from them. VERY handy for layout work.

4. The ability to shrink the command line area down to one history line and an input line. YUP, I use it on a netbook in the field and space is at a premium.

ezen
Newbie Member

OOPS...I forgot one...

Post by ezen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:04 am

5. A NEAREST (on entity) snap would be sweet as well.
:D
I'm finished
B

andrew
Site Admin

Re: OOPS...I forgot one...

Post by andrew » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 pm

ezen wrote:1. .PNG Export as well. - For further compatibility with graphics programs.
Should be there (File - Bitmap export). You can choose the exact bitmap format in the "Files of type" drop down.
ezen wrote:5. A NEAREST (on entity) snap would be sweet as well.
Should be there too: Snap - On Entity

ezen
Newbie Member

Re: OOPS...I forgot one...

Post by ezen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:28 pm

andrew wrote:
ezen wrote:1. .PNG Export as well. - For further compatibility with graphics programs.
My Bad... I assumed it would be .bmp only
ezen wrote:5. A NEAREST (on entity) snap would be sweet as well.
"On Entity" works fine but I should elaborate. In addition to "On Entity", A "Nearest Point On Entity" would be really handy. For example, the shortest distance from a center of a circle to a chosen line.

txsbaker
Newbie Member

New Version

Post by txsbaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:48 pm

I realize that it takes time to write stable software, but I was just wondering if you are getting close to rolling out QCAD 3. It's been quite a while, so I hope that you're getting close. If you can put out a Mac native AutoCAD LT-equivalent (roughly) with native .dwg capabilities, you'll have a huge market to sell to. You guys make a great product already, it just falls short on a couple of things. Don't feel too discouraged, though, no one else is making one either. Good luck, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

ClaudeQC
Newbie Member

My Short Hopefully Usefull Wish List

Post by ClaudeQC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:06 pm

txsbaker wrote:

>
> If you can put out a Mac native AutoCAD LT-equivalent (roughly) with
> native .dwg capabilities, you'll have a huge market to sell to. You guys
> make a great product already, it just falls short on a couple of things.
>

- I think that making QCAD support AutoCAD proprietary DWG file
format, when it is working with the ASCII DXF file format is somewhat
bizarre.

- I think that CAD software that use DXF file format as its native file
format (like QCAD) do not have to support other file format, since DXF
file format is supported by almost all CAD software.

Claude Sylvain
Electro-Technica inc.

txsbaker
Newbie Member

Re: Claude

Post by txsbaker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:40 am

Some industries have standardized around the .dwg format. Conversion and import/export are not practical when drawings are frequently exchanged. I work in the commercial construction industry, which is by no means small or insignificant. It is dominated by AutoCAD use and every "alternative" to AutoCAD that I've tried has been very problematic with handling the .dwg files. None of them import/export accurately. There are always issues, and there is also the issue of file management. Multiple versions of the same drawing for every project is simply not practical or desirable, especially when there are many iterations of drawings as changes and updates are made by multiple parties. The loss in productivity alone forces me to rely on AutoCAD/Parallels/Windows. It would be nice to have a real, usable alternative for Mac/Linux.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”