QCAD 3 feels slow

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

zelea2
Registered Member

QCAD 3 feels slow

Post by zelea2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47 pm

I've been a QCAD user for quite a few years now. It's my favorite mechanical CAD program and I consider it one of the best software purchases I've made. I'm using the 2.2.2.0 professional version on Linux and it works surprisingly well.

Recently I was wondering how qcad evolved and and I've just installed version 3.14.0. First difference is that while qcad2 starts instantly qcad3 takes more than 10 seconds. That's not a big issue because you only start the program once but I've found that drawing also feels
a lot more sluggish than before.

Another thing that I dislike is that the script IDE is gone. While you can still run scripts the previous version had a little script editor where you could modify then play your script making it so much easier to develop the script.

The speed difference was felt more on my garage computer which is just a Pentium 4 connected to my CNC machine. There QCAD 3 was just too slow. Is the jump from Qt 4.4 to 4.8 contributing to this reduction in speed?

The extra features of QCAD 3 are not enough to put up with a slower tool so it's back to QCAD 2 for me.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: QCAD 3 feels slow

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks for your feedback. I guess it's fair to say that a Pentium 4 processor (15 years old) it not sufficient to run QCAD 3. A slow startup time is mostly due to a slow hard disk though. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with using QCAD 2 on older machines.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”