Bugs, imperfections and limitations that should be corrected

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Rtech

Bugs, imperfections and limitations that should be corrected

Post by Rtech » Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 am

- RM on curve acts the opposite way vs lines (BUG) (with lines, you click RM, then click the limiting line, and the part of the line you want to keep. If there is a curve, you need to click the part you don't want to keep instead).

- undo scale and undo rotate, leaves hatches unselected (BUG). (you have to re-select the drawing to do another scale or rotation, otherwise the hatches won't be scaled or rotated).

- there is no paste in place (same position on the page). Only workaround is to add a mark on the origin and after paste use MV with that mark to correct the placement -too much work.

- The hatches should automatically be placed on the background instead of the foreground. They should be placed bellow the lines that defined them as it is common sense (you don't want to interfere with the main shape). I always have to select them and move them in the background -too much work.

- click and drag should give snap priority to edges and intersections if they are quite close as this is the 99% of the drag intent.

- the handles (little squares) require to click with sub-pixel precision. Click one pixel away from the tiny squares and you'll fail to select the handle. Please make the click area much bigger and/or the squares to make selecting fast and easy.

- some times, for unknown reason when I "save as", the program's folder is automatically chosen instead.
Recently I didn't notice it and that caused me lose hours of work when I installed the update and erased the program's folder (I was saving on the program's folder instead of the project's folder).

- Upgrade should auto-uninstall the previous version and take care of everything.
Right now I have to uninstall the last version first, then delete the program's folder, then install the new version -too much work.

- The new document on startup is annoying -I always have to close it, then open the most recent one as I work on the same project for weeks or months.
There should be an option in the preferences to open the most recent one as in most applications.

- Layers and blocks are required to be uselected if you want to delete or rename them -which is totally unintuitive and distracting -if not user acrobatics!

Additionally:
- In several cases, I have noticed that the line edges while appear all snapped on the same point, they are not, which causes eg hatch creation to fail and other problems. This is sort of a serious imprecision issue or snap fail. I'll post more when I find out more.

QCAD Professional 3.15.1.0 (3.15.1)
Windows 7 x64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Bugs, imperfections and limitations that should be corre

Post by andrew » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Please consider opening bug reports / feature requests for future issues at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... &project=1
Rtech wrote:- RM on curve acts the opposite way vs lines (BUG) (with lines, you click RM, then click the limiting line, and the part of the line you want to keep. If there is a curve, you need to click the part you don't want to keep instead).
Bug report created at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1423
Rtech wrote:- undo scale and undo rotate, leaves hatches unselected (BUG). (you have to re-select the drawing to do another scale or rotation, otherwise the hatches won't be scaled or rotated).
Bug report:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1424
Rtech wrote:- there is no paste in place (same position on the page). Only workaround is to add a mark on the origin and after paste use MV with that mark to correct the placement -too much work.
Are you aware of the tool Edit > Copy with Reference? This should take care of this situation as you can choose (any) reference point when copying and use the same reference point when pasting to paste at the same location. Note that pasting at the same location is very rarely used in CAD since it creates duplicate entities - something to avoid.

If you really want to create a duplicate in place, you can also use Edit > Duplicate.
Rtech wrote:- The hatches should automatically be placed on the background instead of the foreground. They should be placed bellow the lines that defined them as it is common sense (you don't want to interfere with the main shape). I always have to select them and move them in the background -too much work.
Feature request at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1425
Rtech wrote:- click and drag should give snap priority to edges and intersections if they are quite close as this is the 99% of the drag intent.
Auto snap is used by default when using drag and drop. You can set up auto snap under Edit > Application Preferences > Snap > Auto Snap. A different snap may be chosen before setting the target point if preferred. I think introducing a new type of snap for drag and drop would be confusing.
Rtech wrote:- the handles (little squares) require to click with sub-pixel precision. Click one pixel away from the tiny squares and you'll fail to select the handle. Please make the click area much bigger and/or the squares to make selecting fast and easy.
For selecting entities as well as reference points, the cursor range for picking entities is used. Configurable under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Behavior > Cursor range for picking entities
Rtech wrote:- some times, for unknown reason when I "save as", the program's folder is automatically chosen instead.
Recently I didn't notice it and that caused me lose hours of work when I installed the update and erased the program's folder (I was saving on the program's folder instead of the project's folder).
When choosing File > Save As, the folder of the drawing that is currently being edited is used as default. For new drawings, the last used folder is used. Saving to the program folder is never a good idea and should not be possible if you are working as user and not as administrator on your system (recommended).
On a side note: the only way to avoid data loss caused by user errors, crashes, power failure, etc. is to make regular (automatic) backups. With all the fully automatic backup solutions out there and hard disks being really cheap, there is no reason for anyone to ever loose hours of work.
Rtech wrote:- The new document on startup is annoying -I always have to close it, then open the most recent one.
There should be an option in the preferences to open the most recent one as in most applications.
Feature request:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1426
Rtech wrote:- Upgrade should auto-uninstall the previous version and take care of everything.
Right now I have to uninstall the last version first, then delete the program's folder, then install the new version -too much work.
Automatically uninstalling something is very problematic. Users might store drawing files, scripts, patterns, fonts, linetypes, etc. in their QCAD installation (although this is not recommended).
The recommended way to update QCAD is:
- install the new QCAD version into a new folder (e.g. "QCAD3.15.1")
- start using the new QCAD version
- if there are any problems, revert to the previous version
- if there are no problems, eventually uninstall the previous QCAD version

If you have any other thoughts, please post comments to the appropriate bug reports / feature requests or reply to this post.

Alexander99
Registered Member

Re: Bugs, imperfections and limitations that should be corre

Post by Alexander99 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:05 pm

I use DuplicateFilesDeleter to remove my PC's duplicate file.
It works very well and removes duplicate files quickly and the software is easy to use.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”