Dimension text size and arrow for imported drawings, way too small.

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Dimension text size and arrow for imported drawings, way too small.

Post by Husky » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 am

Dacicusan wrote:
Husky wrote:My conclusion: The drawing is scaled or the unit is wrong.
Just change your preference units like mines, Drawing and Paper Units = mm and Measurement System = Metric and after that restart Qcad and reopen the hyunday.dwg file and check again the size.
That is not how it works.

Open a drawing:
If I just open a drawing QCAD will use the information in the drawing to be used in QCAD too. No matter what are my preset preferences. As we already know this drawing opens with the info that it is in inch. That isn't correct.
Yes, we can now change the unit below drawing preferences and adjust the dimension settings but that isn't the idea. I have to trust the provided information in a drawing.

Import a drawing:
If I import a drawing QCAD will use the provided information in the drawing to import and if applicable convert the drawing. If I have set my target drawing to mm QCAD will scale a inch drawing 25.4 times.

That is what also happens with this example drawing. After importing into a mm drawing the car length is 108200.79 mm ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am

Please it is possible to fix somehow this issue?

Still Qcad is importing the dimensions way too small.

This is Qcad:
dimension_Qcad.png
dimension_Qcad.png (387.69 KiB) Viewed 13122 times
And the same file opened in Rhino:
dimension_Rhino.png
dimension_Rhino.png (437.49 KiB) Viewed 13122 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 am

Please attach drawing file, thanks.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 am

I attach the original Rhino .3dm file (zipped) and also the exported .dxf file. I checked again the .dxf file by reimporting again in Rhino and there the dimensions are displayed correctly.
Dimensions_Rhino.png
Dimensions_Rhino.png (198.17 KiB) Viewed 13120 times
Dimensions_qcad.png
Dimensions_qcad.png (54.05 KiB) Viewed 13120 times
The same .dxf file imported back in Rhino5:
Dimensions_Rhino_reimport_settings.png
Dimensions_Rhino_reimport_settings.png (29.67 KiB) Viewed 13120 times
Dimensions_Rhino_reimport_result.png
Dimensions_Rhino_reimport_result.png (159.11 KiB) Viewed 13120 times
Attachments
Dimensions.zip
(315.78 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Dimensions.dxf
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks.

Here's what is happening:
- every dimension entity in DXF/DWG is stored with a block representing its contents (or in fact, anything else)
- QCAD ignores that block and instead renders the dimension using the various sizes and properties of the dimension

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 am

andrew wrote:Thanks.

Here's what is happening:
- every dimension entity in DXF/DWG is stored with a block representing its contents (or in fact, anything else)
- QCAD ignores that block and instead renders the dimension using the various sizes and properties of the dimension
Happy New Year!

It is possible to make QCAD to read the corresponding block of the dimension and display the dimension text size as in the original file?

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Andrew. I would appreciate to have some feedback from you regarding this issue. Please let-me know if it is possible to fix this or not. Thank you.

P.S: Filled also a bug report in the bug-tracker:

http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1707

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm

QCAD uses a single set of parameters to compute dimension entities. These parameters are used as stored in the DXF/DWG file. There are currently no plans to change this behaviour as this works well if the file contains the correct parameters.

You can try importing dimension blocks as interpreted by Teigha (from dimension block or recomputed) using the command line switch

-recompute-dim

Note that importing custom dimension blocks means that existing dimensions will not match new dimensions in size and appearance. This setting is usually not recommended unless you only use QCAD to export to another format (PDF, SVG, Bitmap, etc.).

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 am

Thank you Andrew for your answer. Please at least add an option to keep the "Dimension Settings" from the Application Preferences also for the imported files. This will QUICKLY FIX this issue.
Size_for_imported_files.PNG
Size_for_imported_files.PNG (44.43 KiB) Viewed 13017 times
Attachments
Size_for_imported_files_Drawing_Dim_Preferences.PNG
Size_for_imported_files_Drawing_Dim_Preferences.PNG (69.63 KiB) Viewed 13017 times

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Sorry that I need to ask again, it is possible to fix somehow this kind of weird behaviour as this is the biggest "bug" for me that bothers-me the most? Please Andrew spend a little bit of your precious time and consider also my "quick fix" proposal. I don't think will be so difficult to "fix" this issue the way I proposed above. Thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Did you try the -recompute-dim command line switch?

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 am

andrew wrote:Did you try the -recompute-dim command line switch?
Wow. Thank you for the tip. This is working only if I create an icon shortcut and drag the dxf file over it. It is possible to "embed" somehow this commandline option into Qcad?

Also seems that for the imported files, even using the command-line switch recommended by you, if I draw new dimmensions seems to use the Text height Size of 0.18 in the "DrawingOptions/Dimension/Dimension Settings" even if there I set as default the "Text Height" to 25. Will be wonderful to have new dimmension sizes like the ones from the imported drawings or to use the size selected as default in preferences (in my case 25 and not 0.18).

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 am

Dacicusan wrote:It is possible to "embed" somehow this commandline option into Qcad?
No.
Dacicusan wrote:Also seems that for the imported files, even using the command-line switch recommended by you, if I draw new dimmensions seems to use the Text height Size of 0.18 in the "DrawingOptions/Dimension/Dimension Settings"
Yes, that would be correct behavior. QCAD uses the configured preferences for new dimensions.
Dacicusan wrote:even if there I set as default the "Text Height" to 25.
This seems to be conflicting information. What is configured under drawing preferences (0.18 or 25)? That's the only value that is relevant. Note that dimension settings in application preferences are defaults for new drawings. When a drawing is loaded, the dimension settings are loaded from the drawing file.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am

Dacicusan wrote:Also seems that for the imported files, even using the command-line switch recommended by you, if I draw new dimmensions seems to use the Text height Size of 0.18 in the "DrawingOptions/Dimension/Dimension Settings"
andrew wrote:Yes, that would be correct behavior. QCAD uses the configured preferences for new dimensions.
Sorry but from my experience seems that the Qcad it is NOT using the configured preferences for new dimensions on IMPORTED files. I have set in the Application Preferences for "Text Height" to 25 units, but even so, the new dimensions drawn on IMPORTED .dxf files are drawn to the 0.18 height instead of 25, as I set myself.
andrew wrote:This seems to be conflicting information. What is configured under drawing preferences (0.18 or 25)?
I repeat: Need to be 25, as I set myself in AppPreferences.
App_Preferences_NewDrawing_Dimensions.PNG
App_Preferences_NewDrawing_Dimensions.PNG (37.93 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
Imported_Dimensions.PNG
Imported_Dimensions.PNG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
I attached a random dxf file exported from Rhino.
Attachments
Rhino_Export.dxf
(18.49 KiB) Downloaded 564 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am

These Application Preferences are defaults for new drawings (drawings created from scratch using File > New). They have no effect whatsoever on drawings loaded from a file.
App_Preferences_NewDrawing_Dimensions.PNG
App_Preferences_NewDrawing_Dimensions.PNG (61.09 KiB) Viewed 12023 times
Again, this is intended behavior. Drawing specific settings are stored in the file (as they should be since they are drawing specific) and can be changed in Drawing Preferences.

I think what you are looking for is a way to ignore settings of loaded drawings, thereby ignoring a part of the loaded file. That is not possible, I'm afraid.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”