Exception occurred. Entity NOT saved: XYZ

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Exception occurred. Entity NOT saved: XYZ

Post by Husky » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 am

Husky-2022.03.18-03.png
Husky-2022.03.18-03.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 8846 times

I keep asking myself what this messages tries to tell me. Ok, there is something wrong with an entity and that is the reason why the entity will not be saved with the drawing. But if I finish the saving process and open this drawing again the entity is still in the drawing. Same entity, same name what tells me it was saved unchanged. When nothing happens why I have to deal with this Warnings?

The other thing regarding Handle: QCAD tells me the name of a problematic handle in the Warning message - let say 8cf57. The Property Editor calls this same entity/Handle 08cf57. Why isn't that the same name?

Last, but not least - I'm aware that I can search for Handle Entity's below Misc. Would it not make sense to have the ability to search for handle names within the Selection Filter?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Exception occurred. Entity NOT saved: XYZ

Post by CVH » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:01 pm

A) Without a file we can't replicate it. Catch 22 something isn't saved and thus not in the file.
B) It's the same, both are hexadecimal numbers, one has leading zero's the other not.
C) True, why not! Pro vs CE perhaps. A range would be nice too.

Regards,
CVH

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:48 pm

Husky: It's the last resort when dealing with errors from the OpenDesign libraries. These libraries refuse to save anything to DXF/DWG that is not strictly standard. However, there are many files around with non-standard data in them. That's usually when you face this error. Eventually, I hope these can all be ironed out, but there's a lot of guessing involved as to what is acceptable and what not.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:42 am

Andrew - thanks for the explanation. Sounds like time will tell ... :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:05 pm

Windows 11 64 bit, version V22H2. Latest QCad updates.
Version:
3.28.2.0 (3.28.2)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Aug 30 2023
Revision:
a8039fc
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 14.0 (2015)

Paste is corrupted, including cut>paste and copy>paste with or without reference points.
corruption qcad.png
corruption qcad.png (9.59 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
The attached screenshot area should be blank. The corruption occurs each time I use Paste. I've re-started the PC a couple of times, reinstalled QCad from a new link from the QCad website, used misc>select>by handle and spent 3 hours failing to sort it. I'm modifying one of my open-source sea kayak designs, and the system is unusable for my purpose. I'd be very grateful for any help.
Nick

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:24 pm

Hi Nick,
crowhurst wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:05 pm
The attached screenshot area should be blank. The corruption occurs each time I use Paste.
In a nutshell - looks like something at the inserted (paste) geometry isn't strictly to the dxf/dwg standard. That has nothing to do with your OS or the Qcad installation.
Without seeing the drawing itself I would first flatten the drawing below Menu/Misc. Then Save/reload the drawing and see what happens.

If that doesn't helps select and explode all copies. Then Save/reload the drawing and see what happens.

If you are still out of luck delete all copies. Then Save/reload the drawing and see what happens again.

FYI: Save/reload is nessesery to rewrite the dxf/dwg.
As allways - do all test with a copy of the drawing in question!!! :wink:

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 pm

Husky, many thanks for your help. I use 2D, but I Flattened, saved and reloaded multiple times, and deleted all copies but the corruption persists, except occasionally on different drawings when Copy with reference/Paste doesn't work at all. Saving and reloading doesn't change the issue. In the attached drawing, I attempted to copy the top kayak to below the lower kayak. Thanks,
Nick
test corruption long vember.png
test corruption long vember.png (20.39 KiB) Viewed 5243 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:45 pm

crowhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 pm
In the attached drawing, I attempted to copy the top kayak to below the lower kayak.
There is no drawing attached so we could have a look, there is only an image attached.
crowhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 pm
saved and reloaded multiple times, and deleted all copies but the corruption persists,
The exception warning states it is not saved ... Then it should not re-occur when reverting to the saved file.
In theory you can't even attach the file including the exception there the offensive items are not saved ...

There is a (QCAD Pro) Misc selection tool to select a drawing object by handle (TH) in hexadecimal notation.
Note that the object might not be visible or exists on a lock layer or is not part of the Model Block.
Then it is normal that it won't get selected in a visible fashion, make all layers visible and not locked, iterate through blocks.
Note that objects include not visible things like layers, viewports and so on ... Not really visible drawing entities.

Maybe if you know what it is or where it originates from then you can clean up the file more efficiently, Null-Entities for example ...

Regards,
CVH

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:18 pm

Many thanks to CVH and Husky. I've been a QCad user for about ten years, but I only use a tiny subset of its facilities, so please bear with my ignorance. I used Bitmap export to produce this attachment. Is this how to send a drawing file? Normally I export to PDF.
~test corruptioon long vember double plan view.dxf
(255.13 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Thank you for the file but as explained ... Exceptions are not saved and thus these don't occur in the attached copy.
I can cut/copy/paste the content to a new file and save that without any problem even saving the original is flawless.
My default saving format is R23 ... What is yours?
R24 should be fine, one can not save some newer things in older formats.

With the given file:
Try Modify .. Detection .. Detect Zero Length Entities (MZ)
It reports 54 different entities found: 31 Lines, 7 Text and 16 Spline entities
Total length for the lines or the splines is 0.000 or plain zero. :wink:
Opt for 'Deleted Selected Entities' in the Option Toolbar.

After removing those:
Try Modify .. Detection .. Detect Duplicates (MD)
It reports 5 points meaning that some exists more than once at the same spot.
Again (same button) opt for 'Deleted Selected Duplicates' in the Option Toolbar.

Maybe there was something meaningful at those places in the original file.
When not saved in the copy then we can't really say, right?

Regards,
CVH

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:39 pm

CVH, I'll work through your suggestions, and report back. I use R27(2013). Many thanks. Nick

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:28 pm

CVH, I've deleted as you suggested, but the corruption still occurs when Paste is selected. I tried a couple of times, and ended up by deleting another 144 duplicate entities and 145 zero length. In addition, one cannot select an entity with a left click until one has clicked select> rectangle and dragged a rectangle, after which one can select an entity. Many thanks, from Nick.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:30 pm

crowhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:28 pm
one cannot select an entity with a left click until one has clicked select> rectangle and dragged a rectangle, after which one can select an entity. Many thanks, from Nick.
Quite an odd statement but it has some truth in it.
Null-length entities are hard to select but they will get selected when you point near them ... If you know where.
For multiples stacked entities on the same spot use the Alt moderator key when selecting.
Null-entities or empty text are harder, you need to box select them including the drawing origin.

Apart from that, with no active tools:
You should be able to single select all visible 2D entities in the active block on unlocked and thawed layers with an L-click.

MZ and MD make their own selecting, the tools are not terminated at that point.
You have the option to alter parameters, Refresh the selection, Restore defaults settings, Delete selected or Close the tool.
For some reason the mouse button instructions are not updated (=minor bug), L-click has no function and R-click is Cancel (Mostly it is).
After closing these tools, the mouse buttons return to their default actions like selecting on L-click assuming there was no other tool suspended.
You can clear the tool stack by repeatedly hitting Escape or keying-in QQ.

Have you tried to locate such a reported entity by handle (TH)?
What is selected? Is it meaningful?

You seem to have this saving issues after pasting something, in other words saving the target of the pasting action.
Have you checked the source drawing if it is a different drawing?
If the issues persist with that one then please attach it as is.
Remember that saving it under QCAD will clear all issues.

Regards,
CVH

crowhurst

Post by crowhurst » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:59 pm

When I use TH with the hex of the exception, e.g 8ef, all that is returned is e.g "object selected 235". I've tried for hours, and made no progress, so I'll start again tomorrow, and go through more of your suggestions. Thanks for the detailed help. Nick.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:35 am

crowhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:59 pm
When I use TH with the hex of the exception, e.g 8ef, all that is returned is e.g "object selected 235".
Right, there is something and it is selected.
Now have a look at its properties in the Property Editor.
- What type of entity?
- Where, size, content?

Knowing what the offensive objects are is one thing.
Next step is to determine from what they originate.
From pasting something? ... What is there in the source at that relative position.
From trimming or breaking up things to nothing? (QCAD should not cast empty things back).
From removing text content in the label field? ... Better practice is to remove the text entity itself.
And so on.

Even if you can not see selection markers or if the properties make no sense then hitting the Delete key will remove the selected item.
You should be able to remove them one by one without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. :wink:
On the other hand, they won't be saved so they should not re-occur after Save (Ctrl+S) and Revert.

If these problems keep on persisting then it may be in order to reset your configuration.
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial- ... figuration
As last resort, remember that you loose all QCAD customization's, all stored preferences and all persistent options settings.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”