How do I toggle visibility of the side scale?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Randomname2005
Registered Member

How do I toggle visibility of the side scale?

Post by Randomname2005 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 pm

My boss doesn't know how it happened but something on his laptop has turned off his ability to see the side scale in newly created drawings, although it is visible in old drawings that were created when it was enabled. I assume it's an application preference because those affect new drawings. I've looked at everything I can find and can't find anything about side scale toggling. If side scale is the wrong term, I'm not sure what the correct term is, but I am referring to the bars above, and to the left of the drawing window that normally show dimensions. As you zoom in and out, the dimensions scale and larger and smaller accordingly, and when you move the mouse around the drawing window, there is an arrow on each of them that follows your mouse movements to show the cursors xy coordinates. I am referring to this component. I have looked through the application preferences and can't find anything that appears to be wrong.

The QCAD version on his laptop is 3.27.6.0

Operating system is Windows 11 home version 22H2
OS build 22621.2283
Attachments
qcad side scale.jpg
qcad side scale.jpg (487.55 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How do I toggle visibility of the side scale?

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:40 am

Hi,
the correct term for "side scale" would be "Ruler". Ruler can be turned on/off below Edit>Application Preferences>Graphics View>Appearence ... Rulers.

Anyway - your screenshot shows that they are already turned on but without showing any values. Most likely is the zoomfactor at this drawing to much of and Qcad can't display the values anymore.
Try a test: Start a new drawing. Make sure the drawing unit below Drawing Preferences is inch. Draw a rectangle 100 by 100. Zoom to all (ZA) and check if the values are now displayed on the ruler as expected.

If this only affects new drawings it could be worth to check the settings for new drawings below Application Preferences... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Re: How do I toggle visibility of the side scale?

Post by CVH » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:13 am

Hi,

Values of rulers and tick marks may disappear when there is something odd with your drawing grid and meta grid settings.

Remind that any value is also the minimal stepping size.
If you zoom in on very fine details with grid step 10 then the rulers will seem to be empty at some point.
For the X coordinate 20 may be far left and 30 far right for example, with 10 as minimal size there is nothing in between.
Without rulers values and tick marks there will be no grid points and meta grid lines to display.

And there is a bug (at the high side) with custom stetting like a tick step of 0.25 drawing units:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 155#p41481
https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2284
For now stick to Grid Spacing preferences that are unit based like 10, 1, 0.1 or 0.01, ...10^n because the bug is log10 based.
And indeed, 1/4(inch) = 0.25 units :(

Or you could try 4 times 'auto' for the GUI viewport 1-4 grid settings (usually Viewport 1).

As Husky explained, there are grid settings for the current drawing > Drawing Preferences ...
... and there are the application Defaults for New Drawings > Application Preferences.
Once created these are stored in the drawing, for existent drawings you need to update the Drawing Preferences.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”