Distance point to point measuring line scale

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

misterjohn
Newbie Member

Distance point to point measuring line scale

Post by misterjohn » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:48 am

Hi, I upgraded my old copy of QCAD to the latest version this morning and now have a new, small, but frustrating problem. When I measure a distance point to point with Screen-Based Linetypes activated, the measuring line scale is so thick I can't see the measurement result. When I zoom out, the line becomes a huge colored blob filling the drawing. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm sure it's something so simple even I should be able to figure it out, but so far no! Please help.

MAC OS 13.6.1
QCAD Pro Version 3.29.0.0
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 6.50.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 6.50.49 PM.png (146.14 KiB) Viewed 2971 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Distance point to point measuring line scale

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:05 am

Hi, the issue has nothing to do with a Qcad update.

Did you double-check the attribute settings for the layer which was used for this Info Tools? Looks to me lineweight is to large ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 am

Hi,
Although not set in the picture but when you add the measurement to the drawing it will draw some entities on the current active layer.
It are this layer attributes that Husky refers to but that can be superseded by the current active Pen, see Pen toolbar.
The Pen toolbar defaults are 'By Layer' and one can reset those.

The option 'Add the measurement to the drawing' will add a line connecting the two indicated points and the measurement itself as text.
All line art uses the attributes of the current active pen or the current active layer and the text font is 'standard', a CXF font.

Further it will add major and minor tick marks and the length of these is zoom-state depending at the time of creation.
Also meaning: The further you zoom in while adding measurements, the shorter these tick marks are.
For the measurement of about 3 units in the example the major tick marks can be less than 0.026 long ...
... That including a screen-based (or actual) Pen radius makes it look like an elongated blob :wink:
The preview before creation uses lineweight 0.00mm and will not reflect the final art.

Information tools are meant to retrieve measurements on designing, whole the collection of tick marks have a lesser meaning in a later stage.
For including actual measurements on a drawing the best practice is to use dimensions.
The advantages are a controllable format and that they are single entities.

Regards,
CVH

misterjohn
Newbie Member

Post by misterjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 am

Thanks for the replies. However, the problem persists. A problem I'd never seen until I did the upgrade and it was there immediately. Line Width is set to By Layer which draws a normal line width for everything else. It is only when I measure Distance Point to Point that this occurs and only when Screen Based Linetypes is active. I've attached another example. FYI, I restored QCAD v3.28 and opened the same file. No problem with measuring distance point to point with Screen Based Linetypes active.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 9.36.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 9.36.49 PM.png (212.41 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:41 am

It seems that there is more going on:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 567#p43367

For the record:
> Are we talking about preview mode while Screen-based is active (auxiliary line width)?
> Are you using a high resolution display?
> Does it not occur with normal linetypes?
> Is your info tool color set to yellow? (It doesn't seems that layer 'GEOMETRY' is bright yellow)

Regards,
CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:40 am

Seems to be fixed:
https://github.com/qcad/qcad/commit/e1e ... 078c3be36c
https://github.com/qcad/qcad/commit/1ba ... 945fe4e07b
Version is updated to 3.29.2.0 ... 9min ago

Regards,
CVH

misterjohn
Newbie Member

Post by misterjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:28 pm

HI CVH, to answer your questions, No. I set the color for measuring to yellow as the default green was hard to see given the background hatch I'm using. The problem only occurred after I upgraded, I had the same problem on a new file I created, but no problem with either file using 3.28. Unfortunately, on my RibbonSoft downloads link, 3.29.2 is not there yet, just 3.29.1. Later today? The coding you posted sure looks like the solution to my problem, more annoying than anything.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:02 pm

misterjohn wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:28 pm
more annoying than anything
I would agree but then I didn't update yet ... :wink:

The commits are made ... (For the record: It is Andrew that writes/alters core code, we can only report and make suggestions)
FS2516 is closed as being fixed: https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2516
When Andrew will release the .2 update depends ... Seen the nature of the bug most likely anytime soon.

Regards,
CVH

misterjohn
Newbie Member

Post by misterjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:08 pm

OK. I will look for it. Happy to get it fixed. I taught programming at university long enough to be sure that was a bug, especially when it arrived with an upgraded app. Thanks for contacting Andrew. QCad is too good of a program to have bugs like that. J

misterjohn
Newbie Member

Post by misterjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:20 pm

3.29.2 posted, downloaded, installed, and tested. Working as it should, as it did with 3.28! Thank you! :D

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”