assembly

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ross

assembly

Post by ross » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi
MAC OS X EL CAPITAN VERSION 10.11.1
QCAD PRO
Please can you tell me if I can bring seperate items from individual drawings together as an assembly.
Thanks
Ross--Australia

andrew
Site Admin

Re: assembly

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Yes, there are various ways to do this, for example File > Import or Edit > Copy / Paste or drag a file in from a file browser. The best solution depends a bit on your specific use case.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for reply.
Thats good--I will try .
Regards
Ross

ross

Post by ross » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:12 am

Hi
I am working through dragging files into assembly and with drawing parts ' END ON " to create plan - front and end views can see that this may work. Am I right in thinking that 3 D would be the way to go here ?
My Question now is how do I print the drawings that I have.
Regards
Ross

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:12 am

ross wrote:Am I right in thinking that 3 D would be the way to go here ?
I don't understand this question. Are you asking if QCAD supports 3D? If so, no it does not. QCAD is a 2D CAD.
ross wrote:My Question now is how do I print the drawings that I have.
Please refer to our tips and tutorials section at:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3317

ross

Post by ross » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:43 am

Hi
Thanks for reply.
I understand QCad is 2 d cad and I suppose I was only looking for confirmation that there was no other way to assemble parts on Qcad.
I have now , thanks to you , printed drawings -- thanks a lot.
I have tried having different colours to distinguish the seperate parts with no success , although I change the colour on the original drawing, .when I drag it to the assembly drawing it reverts back to the colour of the assembly drawing.
Is there a way to have different colours.
Regards
ross

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Ross
ross wrote: I have tried having different colours to distinguish the seperate parts with no success , although I change the colour on the original drawing, .when I drag it to the assembly drawing it reverts back to the colour of the assembly drawing.
Is there a way to have different colours.
You can set up separate layers with dedicated colours assigned and drag them in on the layer with the colour you need.

Are you dragging and pasting blocks/groups?

ross

Post by ross » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi Clive
Thanks for reply.
I am just dragging in a drawing( that I have drawn ) from a folder -I do not know if that is a block , and putting it into a new drawing.
When I drag it in it changes from its original colour( e.g.. orange ) to the colour of the lines in the new drawing ( e.g.. white )
Regards
Ross

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:58 am

ross: Let's say your current drawing contains a rectangle on a layer called 'layer1' which has its color set to 'white'.
The item you drag in contains a triangle, also on a layer called 'layer1' which happens to be 'red'.

Dragging in the triangle causes an inconsistency: there's an existing layer 'layer1' (white) and a new layer 'layer1' (red).

By default, layers are not overwritten. This means that the existing layer 'layer1' remains white. The triangle you dragged in is now white since it's on 'layer1'.

You can choose to overwrite 'layer1' instead by checking the appropriate option at the top:
Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.56.50.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.56.50.png (23.18 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
In that case, the existing 'layer1' is overwritten. It is then no longer 'white' but 'red'. Of course that also changes the color of all existing entities on that layer to red.

You can read more about the basics of layers and colors in the tips and tutorials section at:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3121

ross

Post by ross » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:26 am

thanks Andrew
Ross

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”