CAD Toolbar, Tool matrix

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

PCe

CAD Toolbar, Tool matrix

Post by PCe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi.
I've been fiddling around with CAD-Toolbar and Toolmatrix which is a great feature!
I wanted to reproduce the situation shown in the post CAD-Toolbar vs. Tool-Matrix. I could not have the CAD-Toolbar (shown at the bottom of the window in the post) with only the snap tools on it.
So I wanted to go back to the original situation (as per qcad_book_en_3.pdf, fig. 3-1) and I managed to get all (top level) command buttons on the CAD-Toolbar, but no way to have the same arrangement.
Below the polyline/shape buttons (on one row as expected) I have the hatch tool on a row of its own and without spacing between polyline and hatch. Spacing to group logically related commands makes very much for readability.
Below Hatch I get the couple Text/Dimension and below this the bitmap button again on a row of its own.

How to reposition command buttons?
How to insert separation gaps between button groups?
Any way to restore the situation of the qcad_book which I suppose is the default?
(using qcad 3.16.4. Build January 2 2017 on win7-64)
TNX - PCe

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: CAD Toolbar, Tool matrix

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi PCe
PCe wrote:How to reposition command buttons?
You can move Toolbars when you click/hold/move them with the left mouse button on the vertical dotted line at the beginning of each toolbar. Then move it to the desired position.
Husky-2017.01.22-03.png
Husky-2017.01.22-03.png (14.44 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
Widgets are movable too with a click/hold/move in the headline
Husky-2017.01.22-04.png
Husky-2017.01.22-04.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
PCe wrote:How to insert separation gaps between button groups?
There is no extra separation possible but is your positioning with a gap QCAD will remember that at the next start ...
PCe wrote:Any way to restore the situation of the qcad_book which I suppose is the default?
All settings are stored in the QCAD3.ini. If you move or delete that file QCAD will start from Zero. Here a brief description:
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentati ... leshooting

I recommend to save (Backup) this file before playing around just in case that you like/need to go back to the old settings.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

PCe

Post by PCe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi.
My goal was to be able to reposition the buttons in the figure, as an example changing the position of the Hatch button as indicated in "Actual.png"
Actual.PNG
Actual.PNG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
"Separation gaps": what I'm aiming to is what you see in the "WouldLike.png image.
WouldLike.PNG
WouldLike.PNG (94.44 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Qcad3.ini: good tip, thanks - works! The result is "Actual.png".
Actually I can not remember how my menu button were like before fiddling: more like "Actual" or "WouldLike".

How could I compose my CAD-Toolbar (content OK) freely choosing the position of the buttons and of the separation gaps?

The whole questioning here is due to my enthusiasm for the post "CAD Toolbar vs. Tool Matrix" by andrew. Very promising!!
Can you give me any hint about having the CAD-Toolbar contain only snap tools in one line as shown in the picture "ToolbarAndMatrix.png"?
ToolbarAndMatrix.PNG
ToolbarAndMatrix.PNG (131.15 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
TNX - PCe

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:56 pm

PCe wrote:Hi.
My goal was to be able to reposition the buttons in the figure, as an example changing the position of the Hatch button as indicated in "Actual.png"
Unfortunately you can't rearrange single buttons. But you are able to control which one presented or not in the Menu/Tool bar/CAD Tool Bar/Tool Matrix ...
Husky-2017.01.22-05.png
Husky-2017.01.22-05.png (59.76 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
PCe wrote:"Separation gaps": what I'm aiming to is what you see in the "WouldLike.png image.
You can't customize the gaps.
PCe wrote:Can you give me any hint about having the CAD-Toolbar contain only snap tools in one line as shown in the picture
Icon Size and numbers of columns are adjustable below Application Preferences ...
Husky-2017.01.22-07.png
Husky-2017.01.22-07.png (43.05 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

PCe

Post by PCe » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Husky,
A couple of more questions about toolbars.
1) I could have my toolbar at the bottom of the canvas (thank you), like this
ToolbarAtBottom.PNG
ToolbarAtBottom.PNG (28.23 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
How can I avoid having the point commands collapsing on the toolbar like this?
Collapsed.PNG
Collapsed.PNG (3.28 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
2) Rather confusing
BlockInMatrix.PNG
BlockInMatrix.PNG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Why would one place the "create block" command in the DRAW menu instead of the BLOCK menu? Any way to rearrange?

3) Again puzzling...
DrawDraw.PNG
DrawDraw.PNG (27.86 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
why the items in the draw menu of the matrix are not the same as in the draw collection on the right?

Thank you.
Paolo

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi Paolo,

Less Symbols in the row.
If you have more symbols than the space allows the bar will collapse.

Good question! I'm usually not working with the Tool Matrix Bar and I haven't realized that before. I have no answer to that - maybe Andrew. :wink:

They are the same if they are toggled to visible ...
Husky-2017.01.28-01.png
Husky-2017.01.28-01.png (119.72 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

PCe

Post by PCe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Husky,

1) you suggets "thay are the same..." but at this point I would expect (see figure)
DrawDraw2.PNG
DrawDraw2.PNG (98.94 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
I suspect the (good!!) reason for the situation is that the matrix does not have hierarchy (no sublevels), which is indeed a good choice in my eyes.

2) Toolbar at bottom: there is plenty of empty space left on the right hand side for more icons. So maybe there is some other way to avoid collapsing
ToolbarAtBottom2.PNG
ToolbarAtBottom2.PNG (18.31 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
Cheers - PCe

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”