node removal

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ross

node removal

Post by ross » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi

Please can you tell me how to reduce the number of nodes after I have drawn using "spline control points".

I have tried "polyline simplify" but cannot keep the simplified version--it returns back to original

The cnc machine firm say there are thousands of nodes even after I have changed the splined drawing to a polyline ( they are not showing up on my drawing.)

Thanks

Ross

andrew
Site Admin

Re: node removal

Post by andrew » Mon May 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Splines usually don't have many "nodes" (control points). However, for CNC processing, splines are typically broken down into tiny line segments which is what your CNC machine firm is likely talking about.

Please refer to this topic for a solution:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4859

ross

Post by ross » Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Andrew

Please can you help me out.

I am unable to carry out your instructions for reducing nodes.

First, please check your preferences under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Modify > Explode
Make sure that Explode splines to polylines with line segments is unchecked. ??????? how do I do this ? I cannot see how to uncheck.

Adjust the spline approximation tolerance (maximum error). The larger this value, the fewer nodes you will get.???????????? Is this the box that appears when I convert to a polyline ? what tolerance do you recommend ? If this is the right box it is normally on 1. If I put in 10 it never finishes.

To convert splines into polylines with arc segments, simply select the splines and choose Modify > Explode.

Thanks
Ross

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm

I've added some pictures to my previous post:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4859

Hopefully that will clarify things.

To uncheck a checkbox, move your mouse cursor on top of it and click the left mouse button.

If your screens look different and you don't have these options, you are likely using an older version of QCAD Professional which does not have that feature yet.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 10, 2017 2:40 pm

If you don't have these options, you'd have to update your QCAD version. I will send you the update information by e-mail.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”