Is there no drawing- and modelview in QCAD?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

NicholasNorman
Newbie Member

Is there no drawing- and modelview in QCAD?

Post by NicholasNorman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Operating system: Windows 10
QCAD Version: 3.17.3.0

From my previous CAD experience, the following approach is common with CAD Tools:

- in the model view, the component is drawn 1: 1 (either as 2D or 3D model)
- then the drawing view is activated, in which the A4 drawing frame and the drawing head are stored
- then a projection view of the component is projectet from the model view with a defined scale for example 1: 2 in to the drawing view
- in the drawing view, the dimensioning and the text fields are then created, for example with a textureheight of 5mm

As far as I understand in QCAD everything is created in the designview. This I do not understand. Because i can not bring a 2m large component impossible in an A4 drawing frame without to reduce the size of the component. In the QCAD manual however is writen that this should be possible. To draw in 1: 1 scale and then display the part in a smaller scale without having to change the original size.

I have read the manual, looked in the web and looked at some tutorials. As far as I understand the handling of QCAD quite well, as far as the individual commands and the toolbars are concerned.

Unfortunately, I find nowhere a video example in which the whole process from the first drawn line, including Layers, etc. to the expression of the dimensioned component is represented.

In the sense of how a 2m large plate with holes in the scale 1: 1 draws, then in a drawing frame A4 transverses, this part then without the original size to change, with a font size of 5mm and then the whole on an A4 sheet expresses.

I would be happy if someone could help me with my button and perhaps I could roughly write down the sequence of the procedure ... It does not have to be complicated, simply in such a way that I can approximately recognize as the usual procedure of QCAD.

-> I am sorry about my writen english. I can talk and read good but not write so good. I have used Google to translet from German in to English

Thank you in advance!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Is there no drawing- and modelview in QCAD?

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm

In the current version, drawing borders, captions, dimensions, etc. are scaled to fit the drawing. When printing, the whole drawing including the border is then printed at a scale of for example 1:2 (model and border are scaled for printing without changing them).

QCAD Professional is expected to support viewports as of the next release. This means that the same procedure can be used as for other systems: 1:1 scale model, one or multiple layouts with borders and views of the model at any scale (viewports).

Model:
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 13.24.51.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 13.24.51.png (143.94 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
Layout:
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 13.25.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 13.25.17.png (145.33 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

NicholasNorman
Newbie Member

Re: Is there no drawing- and modelview in QCAD?

Post by NicholasNorman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 am

Many thanks for the quick and clear response. It was not even an hour and I was helped, really great. The fact that the viewports are still in planning confirms my decision to use QCad. I forgot that at the very beginning when I started with CAD, I've handled it exactly like this. I am very enthusiastic about the tool and its platform. Thanks a lot!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”