[solved] Scaling Confusion

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

slyde

[solved] Scaling Confusion

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 am

Hello again, Forum.

Being new to CAD, I'm finding my way through the woods in small steps. This forum's been generous in helping me, and that's much appreciated. Now, on to my next dilemma :D

Scaling's tripping me out. I created a template 8.5" x 11". When I get ready to use it, I scale it up by a factor of 48. This changes it to 34' across. Perfect. But doing this engages the following mind-twisting problems for me:

1. Do I have to ever scale back down to the 8.5" x 11"? If so, what's the mathematical formula for doing that?
2. Do I have to scale back down to 8.5" x 11" to export a PDF?

This may seem silly to the ones who already know this, but it's daunting to me. And I realize this isn't a QCAD specific question, so I apologize for asking it here. But, having chose QCAD as my weapon of choice, I don't know where else to ask it. Thanks.
Last edited by slyde on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Scaling Confusion

Post by Husky » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 am

slyde wrote:I created a template 8.5" x 11". When I get ready to use it, I scale it up by a factor of 48. This changes it to 34' across. Perfect.
I assume you are doing that for printing purposes, correct?
slyde wrote: 1. Do I have to ever scale back down top the 8.5" x 11"? If so, what's the mathematical formula for doing that?
You are preparing a "Paper_Space" Block with a "Viewport" for this Template in your drawing? If not then the answer has to be:
Not if you use always the same scale in the printing process. But for the case that you need to scale it back then use the formula 1/48.
slyde wrote: 2. Do I have to scale back down to 8.5" x 11" to export a PDF?
No, Paper print or PDF doesn't matter. If you need to scale your drawing for a paper print then you have to use the same print scale for a PDF of the same size.

Recently QCAD Pro introduced the functionality to use "Paper_Space" Block with a "Viewport" for printing purposes. Perhaps a more elegant solution for your template and worth to think about it.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5170
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:16 am

Hi Husky. Thanks for responding.
Husky wrote:I assume you are doing that for printing purposes, correct?
Truthfully, I'm new to this. New to CAD. A relative is opening a business and asked me to learn it. They sent me some *dwg drawings of products that were all scaled up x48 from 8.5" x 11". All I know is I can't draw what they're asking of me on 8.5 x 11 :D So I have to scale my template (8.5 x 11) up by 48 to create the drawings.
Husky wrote:Recently QCAD Pro introduced the functionality to use "Paper_Space" Block with a "Viewport" for printing purposes. Perhaps a more elegant solution for your template and worth to think about it.
I have the latest issue of QCAD Pro and will look into Paper Space and Viewports. Not yet sure how those will help me. However, you've answered my questions, Husky. Thank you. I have a lot to learn. So many new things all at once. But I think this Paper Space and Viewports will be next on my list. Thank you for your time.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 am

slyde wrote:But I think this Paper Space and Viewports will be next on my list.
Just in case the link posted above wasn't so clear:
Click here to read an introduction about paper spaces / layouts / viewports

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”