[solved] Possible corrupted files?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

slyde

[solved] Possible corrupted files?

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

I made a title block a couple days ago. Just a little something for the lower right corner of the drawing sheet. I saved it to a folder inside QCAD/libraries/default/Templates. Then I read a post warning not to save files in the QCAD file hierarchy itself, due to updates and possible file damage. So I deleted this folder and set it on my desktop. Problem solved. So I thought.

I'm super confused about drawing space and Layouts and Viewports right now. So as I referred to this post, I'd start a new, empty file [File -> New] and click on Layout1 (*Paper_Space), I noticed the white page was super tiny. Then I remembered the tiny templates I downloaded from the forum made by Husky. So I added once again a folder under qcad/libraries/default named husky. I unzipped the templates into it. I was going to try to add one of his tiny templates to the tiny white page (Layout1 (*Paper_Space)). But, and this is the problem, when i did this, somehow it's attaching the title block I made that now resides on my desktop. EVERY ONE of his templates will do this. I just now created this folder (husky) to put those templates in. Yet each one I add to the Layout white page has that title block attached to it. I've never seen anything like this. The title block isn't even close to being in that folder.

I don't know how in the world any files could've been corrupted. I mean, these folders I've spoke of are just for *dxf storage. So I don't know what's going on. I even deleted the husky folder with Husky's templates and created a new one and unzipped the templates into it. SAME THING HAPPENED when I tried to put one of his template blocks to the Layout page.

I'm not certain this can be fixed. Mainly because I have no idea what's happened to make this issue arise.

Any ideas? Please advise. Thanks.

QCAD Pro: v3.19.1.0 (3.19.1)
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-28-54.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-28-54.png (245.38 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-29-14.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-29-14.png (253.5 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-30-01.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-30-01.png (246.81 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-30-12.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 05-30-12.png (246.48 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Last edited by slyde on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

QCAD Pro 3.19.2.0 [64-bit]

slyde

Re: Possible corrupted files?

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 pm

As a follow up, I just created yet another foler (qcad/libraries/default/husky1) and extracted the tepmplates into it from a fresh download of them. Same thing. And it's only with these templates. The blocks from the other folders under /default drop onto the model space and layout space just fine.

Something's fouled up, and I don't have a clue as to hat it is or hy it happened. What do I need to do to get a fresh copy of QCAD? It's been one week since I purchased it.

By the way, I've restarted QCAD twice. Same thing.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 06-29-43.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 06-29-43.png (246.44 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 06-30-03.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-30 06-30-03.png (244.84 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
Look! It's a bird. No! It's a plane! NO! It's QCAD hotkeys...faster than a possum falling out of a tree!!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Still not quite sure how you are proceeding.

You say you create a new file using File > New. This has nothing to do with templates (unless you have configured a default template under File > Application Preferences > File > Templates > Default Template (?).

If you insert a block from the part library, this will not affect your paper settings in any way.

You can adjust the paper size, etc. for the current block of the current drawing under:
Edit > Drawing Preferences > Printing > Page

Here's what I would recommend:
1. Start a new, empty drawing
2. Adjust everything the way you would usually want it:
- configure paper size in model space and in paper space
- set up layers you usually use
- add blocks you usually use
- add your header to the paper space
3. Save that drawing somewhere in your data (e.g. ~/data/templates)
4. Configure QCAD to use this drawing file as a default template (see above) or use File > New from Template to start a new drawing from this template file. You can use any drawing file as template to start with. For convenience, you can add your template directory ~/data/templates to Edit > Application Preferences > File > Templates > Template Folders.

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Let me be more specific.

1. I start a new drawing: File -> New. No template. No nothing.
2. I click on Layout1 (*Paper_Space) in the block list
3. I click Library Browser and go to the dir the Husky templates are in.
4. I highlight the 8.5x11 template and drag it into the white space.

And I get not only the template but the title block I made that's not even in that folder.

I hope this helps you understand. My apologies for not being clear the forst time around.

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Problem solved.

And still unsure how this was happening.

I did have a template to load on File -> New, But I was deleting it to have a clean drawing area. Somehow, and that's the weird part, the title block from THAT template was somehow appearing in the Layout1 space when I'd drag out husky's 8.5x11 template. The template I use as default for File -> New is located on my desktop. Husky's templates are in qcad/libraries/default/husky. This shouldn't happen. But it did. Something still isn't right for that to occur. But at least I know how NOT to do it now.

Thanks for your time.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 pm

There's no magic.

- Dragging a file in will insert the contents of that file as a block.
- If that block already exists it can be overwritten if desired, otherwise the existing block will be used which might be completely different (this probably happened for you).
- If the drawing you drag in uses a different drawing unit, unit conversion takes place (this might explain size issues).

Again, if you attach your new, empty file (saved as DXF) and the file you drag in, I could tell you more.

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Here's that file. Load it and click on Layout1 (*Paper_Space) in the Block List.
Last edited by slyde on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I can't find the file anywhere.

Here's how to attach files to a forum post:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3760

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Sorry :-)

Here it is.
Last edited by slyde on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Here's what likely happened:
- Your drawing contains a block "Title Block" with your title block.
- From somewhere a template or block was inserted called "block_2" which also contained a block "Title Block" but with different, smaller content.
- During the insertion, it was chosen not to overwrite existing blocks, so you ended up with a block "block_2" referencing the "Title Block" that was already present in your drawing but had a different content.

Hope that helps in the future to understand what is going on.

slyde

Post by slyde » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for your time, Andrew.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”