How to limit edits to current layer?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

lphilpot

How to limit edits to current layer?

Post by lphilpot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:01 am

I know I can lock a layer to prevent unwanted edits, or I can hide it, etc. But often that's inconvenient, particularly when working with construction lines on their own layer (frequently adding, deleting them, etc.) with primary drawing happening on another layer.

So, is there a way to limit edits to a single, active layer only? That is selections and such will apply to the currently selected layer, while other layers are visible, entities can be snapped to, etc. but won't be affected by any changes?

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to limit edits to current layer?

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 am

lphilpot wrote:So, is there a way to limit edits to a single, active layer only? That is selections and such will apply to the currently selected layer, while other layers are visible, entities can be snapped to, etc. but won't be affected by any changes?
I'm sure that's me ...

If I lock ALL Layer except the active Layer then I'm able to use all snaps on all visible Layer but changes are only possible on the active unlocked Layer, correct?

Isn't that what you are looking for? If not please elaborate a bit more. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Re: How to limit edits to current layer?

Post by lphilpot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:30 am

You're right - That would achieve what I'm asking about, but it requires explicit locking/unlocking when changing and editing on different layers.

What I was thinking of was like I've used in past on an older (?) version of CorelDRAW (which may be the case with other programs). Objects could be on different layers and to edit an object, you had to be on that layer, i.e., that layer had to be active. Simply moving between layers was sufficient, by itself. Objects were visible across all layers (unless explicitly hidden, etc.), but protected from an edits unless you were on their layer.

It's no biggie, but it's more convenient since simply changing layers 'enables' or 'disables' the ability to edit an object by virtue of which layer is active at the time. Nothing else is required. Of course, that kind of protection could be implemented as an additional toggle: "Inactive layers protected: On/Off". But once again it's no big deal.

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”