[solved] Apply different offset distances on different parts of a drawing

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

yetanotheruser

[solved] Apply different offset distances on different parts of a drawing

Post by yetanotheruser » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Given the following drawing, I need different offset distances on the different sides of the drawing. The first screenshot shows the original drawing without offsets, the second screenshot shows a sketch how the offset distances shall look like on each side of the drawing.
Is there any practical way to create different offset distances on the different sides of the drawing using QCAD?
Otherwise my idea would be to create e.g. offsets with 10 mm and 15 mm and then to delete them on the sides where they are not required. However, this would be an exhausting, manual task, therefore I would prefer a more automatic way.
Here is the dxf file of the drawing:
offset_multi.dxf
(153.29 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

Thanks for any hints on this :D

Operating system: Windows 10 x64
QCAD version: Qcad Pro 3.19.2
Attachments
offset_adjacent.dxf
(154.41 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Last edited by yetanotheruser on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Offsetting adjacent drawings and combining different offset distances

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Please post separate questions into separate threads, thanks.

1) You will likely have to do some trimming after offsetting.

2) You can use different offset distances on different polylines but not on the same polyline.

yetanotheruser

Post by yetanotheruser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

andrew wrote:Please post separate questions into separate threads, thanks.
I moved my first question to a new topic: https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5333
andrew wrote:1) You will likely have to do some trimming after offsetting.
Thanks, but is there really no better way? I formulated my question different in https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5333, could you have a look at it?

andrew wrote:2) You can use different offset distances on different polylines but not on the same polyline.
Sounds like an idea, but is there an easy way to split my large polyline (the red drawing is just one large polyline) into smaller ones, say 4 of them (upper side, right side, lower side, left side). Exploding the polyline gives too many parts.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 pm

yetanotheruser wrote:Sounds like an idea, but is there an easy way to split my large polyline (the red drawing is just one large polyline) into smaller ones, say 4 of them (upper side, right side, lower side, left side). Exploding the polyline gives too many parts.
Yes - there is an easy way. Check the "Divide" and then the "Trim Both" tool.

Note: The more tools you know the easier will be your CAD experience. To spent some time playing and learning around with all tool possibility's will save you time and headaches in the long run ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

yetanotheruser

Post by yetanotheruser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Husky wrote:
yetanotheruser wrote:Sounds like an idea, but is there an easy way to split my large polyline (the red drawing is just one large polyline) into smaller ones, say 4 of them (upper side, right side, lower side, left side). Exploding the polyline gives too many parts.
Yes - there is an easy way. Check the "Divide" and then the "Trim Both" tool.

Note: The more tools you know the easier will be your CAD experience. To spent some time playing and learning around with all tool possibility's will save you time and headaches in the long run ... :wink:
Thank you once again, using these two tools works like a charm :D
However, I would likely never have found out myself that "Trim Both" actually extends lines ;-)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: [solved] Apply different offset distances on different parts of a drawing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm

You're welcome. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”