Offsetting only shape of drawing

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

yetanotheruser

Offsetting only shape of drawing

Post by yetanotheruser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Given this drawing:

I need to outset the outer shape of this drawing, here's a sketch what I want to have, where the yellow polygon shall be the offset outer shape. The offset distance shall be a constant distance of 10 mm, the sketch is far from perfect.

I already tried two things to reach this goal:
Attempt 1: Select the drawing (red and white part) and use the offset function. This ends up in
Note the yellow line marked by the arrow - that's a line that I do not want to have. I understand that this line gets created as my drawing technically consists of two drawings, the red one and the white one. The marked yellow line is actually the offset of the horizontal red line 10 mm below. Anyways, that's not what I want to have.

Attempt 2: I put the red and white drawing in a block and tried offsetting the block but this makes things even worse - after combining both drawings in a block, I can only offset the red part :(

How can I reach my goal using QCAD? How can I combine the two drawings before using the outset function?
Thanks for any hint on this!

Operating system: Windows 10 x64
QCAD version: Qcad Pro 3.19.2

I also would like to provide the red and white drawing:
offset_adjacent.dxf
(154.41 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Offsetting only shape of drawing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 pm

yetanotheruser wrote:How can I reach my goal using QCAD? How can I combine the two drawings before using the outset function?
Think about the tools we already discussed in past treads. I would create a single polyline for this task like this ...
Husky-2018.01.02-01.png
Husky-2018.01.02-01.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 2415 times

... before I use the "Offset with distance" tool to reach my goal:
Husky-2018.01.02-02.png
Husky-2018.01.02-02.png (13.36 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”