JPG / PNG Pictures in Drawings

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Rantanplan7

JPG / PNG Pictures in Drawings

Post by Rantanplan7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 am

Hi folks,

after the Christmas break I'm now starting to work a bit more in QCAD.
I have created some frames and in the bottom there is our claim and logo which I have imported. So far so good and they look good.
Unfortunately I have never thought about how QCAD is doing this internally, so I was a bit surprised as I opened the frame on a different computer and - no claim no logo. Looking on the editor shows me why as QCAD is using a link to the object and on other computers this link will not work.
Than I thought the better way would be to get the pics into a CAD format. I tried an online converter but that was just creating an outlined version of our company logo.
So what is the best way in this special case and in general?
Logo_Polar_FarbeRGB.jpg
Logo_Polar_FarbeRGB.jpg (193.96 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Claim_Polar_Farbe_RGB.png
Claim_Polar_Farbe_RGB.png (31.43 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: JPG / PNG Pictures in Drawings

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 am

Rantanplan7 wrote:Looking on the editor shows me why as QCAD is using a link to the object and on other computers this link will not work.
It will work if you keep drawing and external resources (images) in the same folder and distribute them always together. You can think of it as a project folder, containing the drawing file(s) (DXF), images (PNG, JPEG, etc.), PDF exports, etc.
Rantanplan7 wrote:Than I thought the better way would be to get the pics into a CAD format.
Agreed.
Rantanplan7 wrote:I tried an online converter but that was just creating an outlined version of our company logo.
That's probably as good as it gets.
Rantanplan7 wrote:So what is the best way in this special case and in general?
Getting the geometry (outline) across is likely the maximum you can achieve with automatic conversion at this point.

Inkscape also has an image tracer that works well for these type of graphics under:
Path > Trace Bitmap...

Inkscape can then export to DXF or you can use the SVG import from QCAD to import the Inkscape file. In most cases, you will have to do at least some cleanup and add colors, etc.

Rantanplan7

Re: JPG / PNG Pictures in Drawings

Post by Rantanplan7 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks Andrew, for any case I can live with keeping the image always in the same folder as the drawing but our company logo and claim I would like to convert them to to dxf.
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”