creating a shortcut in Linux Mint for qcad

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

pencilcaddy
Registered Member

creating a shortcut in Linux Mint for qcad

Post by pencilcaddy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:47 am

Hi All,
I am just wondering how to create a short cut link in Linux 17.3 MATE for
Q cad
Version:
3.16.7.0 (3.16.7)

At present I have to use the file manager to navigate to the qcad folder then select the file qcad executable that opens in the terminal then subsequently starts the program
Cheers

Clive

Re: creating a shortcut in Linux Mint for qcad

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am

Right-click the menu button, and choose "Edit Applications". This will open the KDE Menu Editor, where you can add custom entries to the menu. Highlight the category where you want to add a shortcut and click "New Item". Give it the name you want, the on the next screen you will be able to specify the command to run (click the icon just to the right of it, to get a file browser to pick the file to run).
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

lphilpot

Re: creating a shortcut in Linux Mint for qcad

Post by lphilpot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

MATE is a Gnome derivative, right? If so, you'll need to use Alacarte, MenuLibre or another menu editor to get it into the menus. It's been a while since I used MATE, so I can't remember if there's a 'start button' (sorry!) right-click shortcut to it nor not. On the desktop, I believe you can right-click and choose "Create launcher". At least that's what Xfce says (also a Gnome derivative desktop) and that fits with my last memory of using MATE.

Otherwise, you can -- as root -- copy and edit a *.desktop file in /usr/share/applications (to make it launch QCAD), which is the default system location for launcher entries. I think QCAD by default puts the desktop file in /home/<username>/.local/share/applications/Ribbonsoft-qcad.desktop, which you can edit yourself. Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=QCAD
GenericName=CAD Software
Comment=A professional 2D CAD System
Icon=/opt/qcad/qcad_icon.png
Exec=/opt/qcad/qcad
Path=/SOME_PATH
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Graphics;
MimeType=application/dxf;application/dwg;image/vnd.dxf;image/vnd.dwg;image/x-dwg 
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
The major critical line is "Exec", which must point to the QCAD executable. "Icon" defines to the launcher icon. "Categories" determines where in the menu structure it will be visible and can be multiple semi-colon-separated entries. They must match what categorie exist in your menu. Just end it with a semi-colon. "Comment" is what appears when you hover over it, typically. "GenericName" is what appears when you opt to display generic names vs. the specific package names.

If you're creating or editing one for yourself edit whatever parts makes sense. The "Path" line is the working directory, I believe. I set mine to the primary directory tree where I tend to save drawings the most often.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”