[solved] Trouble viewing pasted entity in one particular job I have going.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Robert36

[solved] Trouble viewing pasted entity in one particular job I have going.

Post by Robert36 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

I have a model glider I am tracing in QCAD. The image is in its own layer. I imported data points into a separate file and trace the airfoil. The airfoil was selected, copied and exploded. I then copied the airfoil and pasted it in my working document. In this particular document. I can only see the pasted foil with the layer containing my image of the original plans turned off. I notice that when I placed the airfoil on the plan to paste...... the outline of the foil does not appear complete with the original drawing layer visible.

If I turn the image layer off, the airfoil is complete.

As a test, I opened a different project but with what I assume to follow the same protocol. When I past the airfoil into that drawing....... most of the time, during the pasting process, the outline of the pasted object remains visible both before I click to paste and remains visible once pasted, even with my image layer visible.

I hope that is enough info....... I'd love to hear some suggestions, thank you,

Robert

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Trouble viewing pasted entity in one particular job I have going.

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi Robert,
Robert36 wrote:...... I'd love to hear some suggestions
My first suggestion would be that your target drawing has this particular used Layer invisible or frozen.
If you copy entities in QCAD it will also copy the regarding layers. If they are visible and not frozen in the source drawing and your target drawing has the same layer but at least one of them is invisible or frozen then this effect will occur. To fix that make the regarding layers in your target drawing visible/not frozen or use the insert option [x] Overwrite layers.
Husky-2018.02.21-02.png
Husky-2018.02.21-02.png (9.13 KiB) Viewed 7481 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Robert36

Post by Robert36 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Thank you Husky. Ill try to give that a look. Surely there is something differing between how I have one project structured and that of the other. It doesn't seem to be the source material.

There is a website I use to generate airfoils. It creates a nice file for import into QCAD. to date, I have imported those points into a second document, connect the data points with the spline tool and save in my library....... Would it be simpler to import directly into the current job, turn off all visible layers, connect the dots, select and place in a proper layer?

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 am

Robert36 wrote:.... Would it be simpler to import directly into the current job, turn off all visible layers, connect the dots, select and place in a proper layer?
Without seeing the actual material it is always a kind of guessing but till now I see no reason to spread the material over a few drawings or even in the library.
Close to your idea I would create in the current job a layer which will be used for the import of those airfoils points produced by that website. Make sure that layer is active and import the airfoils points. Now switch all layer off (Hide all Layers) and then switch just the import layer back to visible. Now you are able to connect those points with the spline tool without been distracted by other content.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Robert36

Post by Robert36 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 am

That is exactly what I had in mind Husky. In the end, I suppose it's six of one, half dozen the other though by creating a new document, I don't need to fumble with turning the visibility of various layers off.

I did try your suggestion with the "overwrite button. I also assigned the pasted entity to the desired layer while I was aware of that being an option. Unfortunately, it failed to do the trick. I applied all changes and suggestions to my other project piece and they worked there...... THe options where already chosen, I assume for reason of having set them in the previous document.

My thoughts are that something is wonky with my image layer. The only problem I see with that theory is that everything else is clearly visible.

My next step after dinner will be to import the data points directly into this project after turning all other layers off. I will scale the airfoil in the software to size, connect the dots and assign it to it's own layer and see it that made a difference.

I assume import batch data points, connect points with spline, explode, then scale if for some reason needed, then copy/paste.

I should say that to date, CQAD has worked pretty well for lofting formers and airfoils. This is the first snag of any kind and it's got nothing to do with the sometimes confusing part. Working with these old plans, trying to straighten them out, makes sense and scale....... Well done.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am

Robert36 wrote:My thoughts are that something is wonky with my image layer. The only problem I see with that theory is that everything else is clearly visible.
Is the issue based just on an image? Check the "Property Editor" for image Fade. 100 = invisible / 0 = visible.

Dinner? Gooooooooood idea! :wink:

Robert36

Post by Robert36 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 am

Thanks Husky for your help. Fade is at "0" with respect to each image layer, for two separate files as shown in the property editor.

With that in mind........ Should I be checking the "fade number" for my copied and pasted entity? Can't hurt. Simple pasta for dinner, so it can wait.

Robert36

Post by Robert36 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 am

Perhaps stopping for dinner is in order. I'm guessing an image file has a fade function while I noticed the rib profile had no such value posted. Somehow I had managed to move the image layer to the layer my ribs are located which created confusion....... I selected everything, which pointed out the newly hidden ribs.... deselected everything then grabbed the ribs with the rectangle selection tool and sent them to a temporary layer which will simply be the layer I try importing the batch points into.

Easy Peazy. -Robert

Robert36

Post by Robert36 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 am

I got it drawn though not as planned.

I couldn't copy any entity from the other project into this one and have it remain visible with the image layer visible at the same time. I was able to copy and paste from the current drawing to the other.

So.... the solution was to create points in Airfoil Plotter, save as .SVG. All layers were turned off except a newly created layer. Points were connected, exploded, sized, rotated for incidence and placed where needed.

No trouble copying and pasting entities created within the document. Hopefully this will the exception and not the norm.

Thanks for the help......... I learned some things I needed.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 am

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that it works now.

Husky

Re: [solved] Trouble viewing pasted entity in one particular job I have going.

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Robert - just out of curiosity. e_surprised

I used an online generator to built an airfoil svg. I imported that in QCAD and used a "hidden" tool to built "automatically" the spline. Just 4 clicks and it was done ...
My question is: Is this pseudo "automatic spline" good enough to start with or better not?
airfoil spline test.dxf
(131.74 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”