Modify simple polyline rectangles

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Andreas_FI

Modify simple polyline rectangles

Post by Andreas_FI » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am

Hi,

I am new to QCAD (and CAD drawing). Trying to figure out the easiest and smartest way to change the size of a simple rectangle polyline.

In my previous drawing experience I could modify hight and width of any polyline in the inspector. However in QCAD "Property Editor" changes are not possible. I found a scale tool, but there it is not possible to insert exact hight/width.

Of course I could always delete and draw a new rectangle polyline using the "rectangle with size" function, but I believe there is a better, more smarter way to do this. Please help and advice on the basic principles/workflows to modify a simple rectangle polyline in hight and width.

Thanks!

Andreas

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Modify simple polyline rectangles

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 am

Hallo Andreas,

it sounds like a simple question - but it isn't. :wink:
Andreas_FI wrote:In my previous drawing experience I could modify hight and width of any polyline in the inspector. However in QCAD "Property Editor" changes are not possible
Yes and no. QCAD follows a different strategy regarding to the procedure in an inspector. But you can use the Property Editor to modify entities ... except the length and hight of a polygon rectangle ...
Andreas_FI wrote:Of course I could always delete and draw a new rectangle polyline using the "rectangle with size" function, but I believe there is a better, more smarter way to do this. Please help and advice on the basic principles/workflows to modify a simple rectangle polyline in hight and width.
Yes, there are situation in which it makes sense just to draw a new rectangle.
Andreas_FI wrote:I found a scale tool, but there it is not possible to insert exact hight/width.
If you have a rectangle x = 15 and y = 22.5 and it needs to be x = 17.25 and y + 31.5 the you cam scale it x = 17.25/15 and y = 31.5/22.5. Again - maybe it makes more sense to draw just a new rectangle.

Long story short: There are so many reason "why" you have to change the size of a rectangle. QCAD has a bunch of tools to cover as much as possible all situation and you have to know all tools to make the smartest decision in each particular situation. Best way to learn is to solve each problem what comes along your way.

This could be a simple exercise:
I have two rectangles. A green one and a white one.
Husky-2018.02.28-08.png
Husky-2018.02.28-08.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
I need the top line of the white rectangle on the same level like the top line of the green rectangle - rest has to stay.
Husky-2018.02.28-09.png
Husky-2018.02.28-09.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
It takes me with QCAD 6 Mouse clicks in 10 sec. - done! No measurements or calculation necessary. Could the "Inspector" feature beat that?

Try to figure how I did that. If you can't find a solution then I'll post the tool chain ....
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:40 am

The basic misunderstanding here is that there is no object "rectangle" in CAD. A rectangle is just a polyline, consisting of four line segments that happen to form a rectangle. Hence, the same tools can be used to modify a rectangle polyline as for any other polyline.

Depending on your situation, there are various ways to change the size of a polyline:
- Modify > Scale
- Modify > Stretch
- Modify > Align Reference Points (with "Scale" enabled)

If this does not solve your problem, please attach your drawing or a screenshot of it and explain what you are trying to do.

Andreas_FI

Post by Andreas_FI » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Wow, thanks Husky and Andrew for you comprehensive and valuable comments. This really helps me to understand the concept and differences of QCAD (or CAD) compared to solutions I have used in the past. Thanks for your support and help!

Andreas

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 pm

If you have a desired target point you could use Stretch too.
Or you could simply pick the vertex and place it where you want it and resticted Horz. or Vert. too.

Andreas_FI

Post by Andreas_FI » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 am

CVH wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 pm
If you have a desired target point you could use Stretch too.
Or you could simply pick the vertex and place it where you want it and resticted Horz. or Vert. too.
Thanks for this tip. Need to study these alternative workflows as well. Currently I am not familiar with these tools and functions. Learning in the process. Greatful for this comunity.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Make more use of temporary construction lines, and best on an seperate layer.
Even some horizontal an vertical construction lines can help you a lot in drawing something where you want and how you want it.
Regards

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Andreas,

I would definitely suggest the QCAD book, it will instill the underlying principles for 2D cad drafting and the correct methods for most likely all of your drafting needs for many years to come.

What are you using QCAD for?

Many thanks

Clive
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Andreas_FI

Post by Andreas_FI » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 am

Clive wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:17 pm
Hi Andreas,

I would definitely suggest the QCAD book, it will instill the underlying principles for 2D cad drafting and the correct methods for most likely all of your drafting needs for many years to come.

What are you using QCAD for?

Many thanks

Clive
Hi Clive,

thanks for your advice. I actually do have purchased the book and it helped me to understand basic principles and get into the world of CAD. However, all the new functions and tools can be a bit overwhelmin in the beginning. For example you usually have multiple ways to achieve to the same result.

I am using CAD mainly for technical drawings in the broadcast industry (technical solutions for radio, tv technology other AV systems) producing schematic block diagrams, wiring and signal flow diagrams and other installation documentation like rack or panel layouts etc.

Greetings,

Andreas
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2018-6-3 kello 9.19.42.png
Näyttökuva 2018-6-3 kello 9.19.42.png (186.97 KiB) Viewed 8824 times

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Andreas,

I'm pleased you've got the QCAD book it is a great way to learn about 2D cad drafting and as you say there is often more than one way to draw something up. Thank you so much for sharing what you are using QCAD for, very interesting.

Many thanks

Clive
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”